Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a ex feral cat female . She will not let you hold her but she needs tick meds really bad. She will let you pet her.

I really need help.

thanks

ps. Mod is this is in the wrong area please move.

Yes i did goggle it .
so love when you goggle something you get everything but what you are looking for

·
Registered
978 Posts
The vet I used previously had this weird thing they put uncontrollable cats in that basically held them still. I was afraid they were going to use it on my cat when I wasn't present because she can have quite the temper.

I don't know if you could find something similar. It freaked me out but I guess it would work in this case.

·
Super Moderator
26,659 Posts
Can you wrap her in a towel? I had to do that with one of my girls when I needed to get her into the cat carrier. I would walk up to her and start petting her, then whip out the towel and wrap her up before she knew what was happening.

(You'll get much better advice than this, just wait....)

·
Registered
351 Posts
I would add to this....give a treat soon after so that this cat will not 'fear' you like you are going to do it again. Our ex feral young cat had an intestinal blockage that required enemas. guess where she won't let me pet her? belly rubs are appreciated but if I get lower....well, she used to bite harder but now just enough to let me know I crossed the line.

Or, do the vet visit. Call them and see how much it might cost. that way you won't be 'blamed'? Good luck.

·
Premium Member
9,126 Posts
When we first started doing TNR we trapped a feral cat that was slowly starving to death. She had an infection in her jaw. The vet examined her in the carrier. The top lift off. We held her down.

I took her home to a 4x4 with an upside down box with a door cut in it, inside the kennel. My friend would crawl in the kennel (I didnt have the couage to) with a towel and lift the box and grab her with leather gloves and a towel. We would then medicate her. We always told her what we were going to do before we began. One person held her in the towel. One scruffed her and I (I the big chicken hearted one) medicated her.

I constantly rifled soft food mix with water while trying to save her. She started to gain weight but the infection wouldnt let go. We had to euuthanize her on the vets advice that it wouldnt ever totally heal. Today I think wed keep trying other avenues but we were pretty green at the TNR thing.

Sorry I dont have a better suggestion. We still use towels to contain ferals.

·
Registered
181 Posts
We have a ex feral cat female . She will not let you hold her but she needs tick meds really bad. She will let you pet her.

I really need help.

thanks

ps. Mod is this is in the wrong area please move.

Yes i did goggle it .
so love when you goggle something you get everything but what you are looking for

Is it spot medicine that you put on the back of her neck? I have an ex-feral cat that is very hyper-vigilant and I stress over it every month when I need to put Advantage on him. I am able to do it though. Sometimes I set some treats down and while he's eating the treats I quickly squeeze the contents of the tube against the back of his neck. Other times, when I'm laying on my bed with him, I'll have the tube with me and I pet him until he's relaxed and half dosing then I reach over and put it on him. I try to be casual about it because they can sure sense when somethings up.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is it spot medicine that you put on the back of her neck? I have an ex-feral cat that is very hyper-vigilant and I stress over it every month when I need to put Advantage on him. I am able to do it though. Sometimes I set some treats down and while he's eating the treats I quickly squeeze the contents of the tube against the back of his neck. Other times, when I'm laying on my bed with him, I'll have the tube with me and I pet him until he's relaxed and half dosing then I reach over and put it on him. I try to be casual about it because they can sure sense when somethings up.

Yes it is spot med.

·
Banned
2,744 Posts
I'm a pro at this. My Erik spent the first 6 years of his time with me, back when he was a barn cat, behaving entirely as if he were feral. Once he moved into the house, he quickly tamed down, but for 6 years I applied Frontline thusly. You will need a 1cc syringe--one w/ a tiny needle on it. It needs to be a removable needle, not a TB syringe w/ the needle permanently applied.

(1) Take Frontline ampule out of package. Do NOT break the top as you normally would to apply.

(2) Holding the ampule so that the liquid is pooling all in one corner, use the syringe w/ the needle to go in through the foil backing and suck out all the fluid. This takes a little practice. Get as much of it as you can.

(3) Cap the needle and remove it.

(4) Wash your hands so you don't smell of Frontline.

(5) Feed the cat something really good. Lean down, pet once or twice, then aim the syringe tip into the coat, get it down the skin and depress the plunger. Do this QUICKLY.

This works MUCH better than trying to apply w/ the ampule b/c it's much faster and cleaner--it all comes out at once from the syringe, instead of your having to repeatedly squeeze the ampule.

I recommend getting kitty in the habit of your petting him while he is eating. Do it for a few days before applying the Frontline--and then keep doing it afterwards. If 29 days a month all that happens is petting and only ONE day a month he gets Frontline, he won't get wary.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts