Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Both my kittens are almost 8 months old, one male and one female. I adopted the male one when he was just 1 week old and the female one when she was already 2 months old

Both of their appetite is good, especially the female one. However, the female look much more smaller size than the male one. And she appears to be thinner as well. Her fur is not as shiny and smooth as compared to the male one.

This is what I have started feeding them.:catmilk

Whole day : free flow of Taste of the Wild dry food
Morning & Evening : Avoderm/Wellness wet food with tuna flakes in water.

My female kittens loves tuna and she is putting more weight. Her fur is getting smoother and shiny as well. My male kitten is getting obese however... :?

May I ask if adding tuna to wet food is appropriate? I do add warm water to their food as well.

·
Banned
952 Posts
Hi everyone,

Both my kittens are almost 8 months old, one male and one female. I adopted the male one when he was just 1 week old and the female one when she was already 2 months old

Both of their appetite is good, especially the female one. However, the female look much more smaller size than the male one. And she appears to be thinner as well. Her fur is not as shiny and smooth as compared to the male one.
May I ask if adding tuna to wet food is appropriate? I do add warm water to their food as well.
Feeding fish to cats is risky and I wouldn't feed tuna to my cats unless one was sick and losing weight fast and I desperately needed him/her to eat.

Eight strikes against fishy feeding | cat nutrition blog

My recommendation is to just feed your girl more. How much are you offering, how many times a day? Cats should be fed three times a day, especially if they're kittens (four times a day for kittens if you can manage it) and one 5.5 ounce can a day seems to be about the average for adult cats... up to twice that is ok for kittens.

Also, there are some high-calorie kitten foods out there - Evo Cat and Kitten is one - have you tried that?

Regards.

AC

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your prompt reply!

My girl was so thin that I can feel her ribs. And when I shower her, she look even more thinner.

I was so worried, therefore I started feeding tuna added to her main diet. I feed twice a day.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
If you can, you'd be best just to give the female more of her regular food, rather than add tuna to it. And AC is right, EVO will help her to gain weight. If you're able to buy it in Singapore, you should give it a try.

A few other points. Male cats are typically larger than females. Also, you should be able to feel a cat's ribs, although there should be a little bit of "padding" over the ribs and you shouldn't be able to see her ribs. So, just because you can feel her ribs doesn't mean she's underweight. Finally, all cats look thinner when they're wet.

·
Super Moderator
26,493 Posts
Nutri-cal is good for cats who need to put on weight or are sick.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all your reply. I do know that cats look thinner when I shower them. As I compared both my kittens, my male kitten does not have much difference when he is drenched whereas the female one look drastically different.

I have been feeding this diet for almost 3 weeks and she is really growing. I will stop this diet and feed them just the main diet. I will try finding Evo and Nuti-cal!

Thanks so much everyone for you precious advices!

·
Super Moderator
26,493 Posts
Most cats don't need baths or showers. Just curious, is there a specific reason you wash them?

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
Most cats don't need baths or showers. Just curious, is there a specific reason you wash them?
I agree about the Nutri-Cal as well. SUCH amazing stuff. It always put weight on animals like crazy.
I was curious about this as well. Do you need to shower them? I haven't had cats for very long but my guy keeps himself immaculate. I wouldn't need to ever wash him.....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts