Cat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not our puppy, we're not getting one, but the city we're moving to is about an hour from where my sister lives with her fiancee and their Boston Terrier puppy, Sippowicz.

I know they're going to end up coming over for sleepovers etc. and Sippy usually goes where they go, he's still only about 5 months old, and I want the cats to be okay with him (and vice versa) so that we can all get along!

Anyone have experience introducing puppies to cats? I'm sure Atlas will be fine, but I'm a little worried about Wicket, I think he might feel the need to protect his turf and Sippy is smaller than he is!

Em will be bringing his crate etc. so I'm sure we'll keep him crated/contained at the beginning and/or keep the kitties in the basement sporadically to allow them breaks. Do we need to go through a whole "slow" intro like with another cat, and keep them on opposite sides of the door? I'm not sure how that would work because she won't be down for weeks and weeks when she comes, just a day or two......

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I had it the other way around. I had Rocky the dog first, then I got Miu and afterwards Cap'n Jack.

I believe it would work the same the other way around though. So keeping Sippowicz in the crate at the beginning for the cats to see, smell or touch. Then slowly expanding it from a 'opposite sides of the door' then to total freedom.

Remember about exchanging scents via towel too.

But if it's just a one time thing and not often, perhaps it may not be worth it. There's also the uncertainty factor too. Who knows? Maybe you won't need any introduction at all and they'll instantly get along. Or you could have the opposite and they won't like each other. But I suppose you'll have to play it by ear.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think it'll be fairly often, Em lives about an hour and a half away from where we will be living so when she comes it will likely be for a night or two and her partner works a rig job so is gone 2 weeks at a time. They kennel him for longer away trips but try to take him along as long as possible. I'll start with the scent trick, thanks, forgot about that! I'm sure they'll work things out, I think he's been introduced to other cats already....

Thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts