Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cat Zoey was content and sweet for a long time. I live in a small area attached to my parents' house and I was letting her out into the kitchen for a while every evening, once everyone's in for the night. Then I decided to let her out in the morning, before people start coming and going. But I had to stay in the kitchen to watch her and make sure everything went okay; my dad isn't careful with doors and Zoey doesn't like my parents' cats. I decided I'd rather keep her in my area during the morning, the way it used to be. Unfortunately, she seems to have developed a taste for more territory. I refuse to let her out more often, but I want her to be happy. She has gotten kind of bratty lately, nipping me and even biting sometimes. Any advice on keeping her content? She has toys and a tunnel and a cat tree and I have tall cupboards for her to go on top of. I give her lots of attention. There's no point in letting her out more often; my dad hates any discussion in which he feels he's on the defensive. He'd just get angry and mean and nothing would get accomplished. I can't move out due to money issues, I would in an instant if I could afford it, and of course, Zoey would go with me. So, I'm stuck keeping her in my rooms.

·
Registered
5,149 Posts
You could get a harness and leash for her and take her outside to walk around....it should give her a sense of patrolling a territory. Also, you could take her in a pet strolller (tho these are more expensive). All the best!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I use treat balls for kibble and treats to keep my boys hunting. A small space just means more games and more attention to get her in the habit of just having your space.
I wouldn't try a leash and harness unless she is already used to it. For safety reasons, it takes a long ime to train them and they already have to have a want to do it. Her space just needs to be her world or you'll never get her to stop trying to get elsewhere.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I agree with this. There are things like pingpong balls that are amusing, and nuts in their shells are similar. Window views are often appreciated too. Shelves of different heights for climbing and sleeping on. You have already found out that enlarging her space (to the kitchen of the house) has a drawback, so be carefu! ;)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice. I don't think she'd enjoy wearing a harness and I'd be worried that a dog might attack her or something. She does have a good window to look out of.
I don't want my whole life to revolve around her, as I do have other things to do than entertain her. Unfortunately, the only toys she seems to like are wand toys, which means I have to play with her.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
She escaped into the kitchen yesterday. She complained when I brought her back but after that, she's been fine and sweet. I just wish I could move out of here with her, but money makes that a non-issue.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts