Cat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How can I know if my cats have hairballs?

And is there some hairball remedy that you particularly recommend?

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I read somewhere that says if the cats digestion system is healthy, there shouldn't be any hairball at all, because the amount of hair ingested every day should be easily digested and passed out in stool. I'm not sure if that's true, but I have never seen my cats throwing up any hairball. That include the two Persians I had before (but of course, I brush them daily).

As of remedy, the best I recommend is cat grass and cooked pumpkin.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I read somewhere that says if the cats digestion system is healthy, there shouldn't be any hairball at all, because the amount of hair ingested every day should be easily digested and passed out in stool.
I have heard that as well, and do think it is true.

I just give some extra salmon oil during shedding season to help them pass any hairballs they may have.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Sassy still has issues with hairballs, and she has always had them regardless of what food she was on. We've tried most remedies. Hairball food didn't eliminate them, hairball paste didn't eliminate them, grass didn't eliminate them, pumpkin added to her canned food didn't eliminate them... The only thing that completely stops the hairballs for her is a periodic hair cut :p Not saying that's the only option, just that was what finally worked for her.

Thankfully she seems to like the feeling of shorter fur, so I keep her fur that way mostly for her comfort. There was a time where she would throw up multiple hairballs every week, so I think we're both better off this way.

And thankfully my other cat is a short-haired one, so she has no issues with hairballs at all.

You'll definitely be able to tell if your cats have a problem with hairballs - the evidence will end up all over the floor :-? Figuring out which cat has the problem might be a bit more difficult, if you don't see them doing it and if your cats have similar colored fur.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.