Cat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my kitten likes my bookshelf which is a problem because she tends to kick some stuff off of it. would catnip help make her want to sleep in her kitty condo?

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Our cats has a few different spots. They like their transport carrier (that totally threw me off!), their radiator bed and also a pile of blankets we have on the couch. But sometimes you find them on anything else, like a jacket or something that's in the sun. My kitties seem to prefer the carrier to start with and then the radiator bed... they sleep there at nights but during the day they plop down about anywhere it's soft and warm. :D

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
If there's one thing I've learned about cats it's that nobody makes their decisions for them. You can give them the most warm comfy sleeping place and if they want to sleep on a dirty cold basement floor, they will and you can't change that. :wink:

She probably likes the bookshelf because it's up in the air. I would guess that catnip, if anything, is going to make her playful, not sleepy.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Just accept where your kitten wants to sleep. :) I bought ours a nice wicker basket with fluffy blanket and they choose to sleep on the dining room chairs.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Our cats are so noisy at night that when they were little, we started putting them in the laundry room to sleep. It's their room too anyway. They have their litter box there and their food and water and a soft blanket. Our laundry room is off the kitchen so it's a nice room. They love to get up on top of the cabinets. They have a window to enjoy and the pantry to raid. And they've been caught doing it too! (they go after their little pouches of treats) :) All we have to say is "Go to your room" or "Go to bed" and they go running down the hall into the laundry room! Sometimes Bagheera will yell at us as if to say "I'm not ready yet" but he'll go if we insist. Sometimes we find them sleeping in there on their own free will....they really like it in there!

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Oh, forgot to mention...

I did buy a cat bed for my kittens, in the silly belief that they would enjoy it. It's cozy and soft and it would be perfect.

I was soo wrong!

They use their cat bed as a toy! One of them runs in and hide in it, then waits for the other kitten to attack. Then they take turn hiding in there and do the same thing, over and over again!

I've only seen Sam laying in there for 10 minutes at the most. But it's a great toy, so it was not totally waste of money. Maybe they'll like it when they get older or maybe they will sleep in one of the shelves in our book cases. Who knows.

So I guess the suggestion is to move those fragil things your kittie is knocking over and make it "her place". But then again, if you do, she migth just find another good spot where she can knock over other stuff. :D

·
Registered
77 Posts
:mrgreen: I had to laugh reading the title to this one! You want to MAKE your cat do something? :D 8O :D :twisted:

I suppose it's possible to make a cat do things (like taking them to the vet in a carrier or closing the door to keep them from helping you in the bathroom), but often they make your life miserable because of it!

If your cat likes catnip they sell matts that are catnip stuffed, you could lay one of those where you want the cat to hang out, but I'm not sure it would work. My cats are magnetically drawn to sit on any clothes I leave out or anything I'm reading, or most anything with an unusual texture. Experiment a bit and you might find a plausible way to tempt them to like to sleep where you'd like them to sleep...I wouldn't say the word 'make' too loudly around the cat though! :twisted:

~Heather

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Well, all I have to say is : Good Luck! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have never been able to get a cat to do something I wanted, they only do what they want! :D

·
Registered
32 Posts
Does your cat have a favorite blanket or something?

I bought a small bed for my cat, and she never slept in it until I covered it in her favorite blanket.

-Josh

·
Registered
983 Posts
Cats will sleep where THEY want.. that's about all i can tell you. I have 2 expensive beds for my cat, and he only uses one, and only if i'm right next to it. The other one he uses as a toy :roll: :p

His favorite sleeping spots are our beds and chairs, anywhere where we sit is what he wants. Sometimes i get up for a second off my chair, come back, and he's in it.. sleeping as if he was it for the past 3 hours! :p 8)

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
The other thing is that they are kittens. As they get older and mature they may appreciate the soft cozy sleeping area moreso than they do right now when they look at everything as a potential play toy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts