Cat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stroke and pet the strays that allow it, for hours. There are a few others that I love dearly too, but there's no way to show them because they don't allow touch. I give them very good food, of course, but what else could I do?

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I stroke and pet the strays that allow it, for hours. There are a few others that I love dearly too, but there's no way to show them because they don't allow touch. I give them very good food, of course, but what else could I do?
I fed a stray one time that didn't seem to want touch. Then one day he came over and solicited petting. I stroked his back and he moved away, turned, and gave me a look that seemed to say, "I can't believe I did that." Later he allowed a bit of touching, but at times did not want. He never moved away at these times; instead he showed me a mouthful of teeth directed at my hand. Only a couple of times did he purr.

They know. Just continue to let them see you pet the others, and perhaps make sure that food is given directly to them, even if they leave it so that others can eat first.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I do those two things, and they indeed work wonders. Seeing me pet the others every day for hours during months has made each cat advance towards touch from wherever they were in the scope. Those who used to run, now sit near me. Those who used to sit near, now gently rub against me now and then. Those who used to rub against me, now let me pet their heads. And so on. Yet those who don't allow touch don't get all the perks that come with it such as sitting next to me, or on my lap, or being brushed, or being taken home with me for some time.

·
Registered
474 Posts
My Cody doesnt like to be pet much, but he loves to play. I try to give him extra personal attention by playing with his favorite toy da bird.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
How many strays do you feed? You could be running into a dominant cat situation where the submissive cats won't interfere with the petting of a dominant.

Hey Cat, who got killed by a dog, was submissive to Guy the cat I now feed, who is submissive to Caddie the small tabby female who lives next door. When I had Zenobi, Guy used to try to dominate her, but she wasn't having it, and if I tried to feed or pet Guy she'd become very angry and hiss at me.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I feed about 15-20 cats each evening. About 1 third of them allow touch. The others look like they'd love to, but are afraid.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts