Cat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I always pick up my cat and he loves it, he'll curl up and purr but i got to thinking, what is a good way to pick a cat up? i usually just pick him up behind his front legs, kinda like you would do with humans. i was wonderin if that was the right way? i assume that is but i don't wanna hurt my kitty so i'm just makin sure.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Just make sure you are supporting his lower body (by placing your other hand beneath his hind legs, etc.) while you do so - and hold his body against yours if you walk anywhere with him. Cats don't take to kindly to being suspended in the air - but ya can't really blame 'em! :)

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

:lol: I wouldn't wanna be suspended in the air while being picked up lol, thankz for your reply!

·
Registered
863 Posts
I believe that's pretty well the correct way:

One hand underneath both "armpits", and when off the ground cradle their feet in your other hand/arm.

The way I like to hold cats once up (and they all seem to like it) is to have their feet in one hand about waist height, and their front paws on my forearm a bit higher, using my hand to cup around their shoulders. It gives them support for their feet, and you can make sure they don't leap from your arms with your hand on their shoulders. It's easy to put them down that way as well because then you can just lower your arm holding their front paws down below your other hand and they can leap off. It's sorta the same way you pick them up too, so there's less tossing them in your arms to make them uncomfortable.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts