Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently adopted a cat, Boba, who is 10 months old. He's a sweetheart, but is still young and so, he has a lot of excess energy to work out. My other cat, who is 7 years old, is slowly becoming more tolerant of his presence, but we are still restricting full time co-habitation because Boba can be a bit too much for her.

The problem is, nights that I've allowed him full access to the house, he gets under our bed and starts ripping the cloth out from under the box spring in the early morning hours. So he's been restricted to the rooms upstairs at bedtime for the past week.

Last night, I thought I'd give him another try for an overnight, he went right back to shredding the cloth under the box spring early this morning.

I'm not entirely sure what this behavior is all about - why is he tearing at the cloth? Does anyone have any thoughts on what I could do to redirect this behavior or why he's targeting the box spring?

·
Registered
10 Posts
is your cat indoor or outdoor??? If its outdoor it usally gets all that scratching done outside. If hes fully indoor get him declawed and he wont be able to rip the cloth.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
NOOOOOO... do NOT get a cat declawed. That's just OUCH! :(

If you don't already have gotten him a scratch pole, get one. Teach the cat where it's ok to scratch and your furniture will be safe. Getting a cat to do what you want is hard, but try to use positive enforcement on the good things and that might help him realize scratching the scratch pole instead of under your bed is much more fun.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He's a totally indoor cat - I don't think the great outdoors is a safe environment for cats. And, no, I'll not be getting him declawed. I did just successfully trim his claws this afternoon (first time with him and he took it like a champ!).

It's not so much that he's scratching the furniture - he's actually tearing apart the fabric. We have three scratching posts for the cats and he's not going after any other furnishings like he is under the bed...maybe I'll re-introduce him to the biggest scratching post tonight, though. It certainly couldn't hurt!

After I posted, I peeked under the bed - the entire cloth covering is all in shreds 8O I thought perhaps REMOVING the tempting cloth dangleys might help. but moments after I tore it all off, he was INSIDE the box spring, attempting to tear into the exposed cloth sides. Ack!

Are there techniques to redirect destructive behavior - or is it a matter of continual removal/blocking off of the targets?

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Glad you won't consider declawing! I can't believe how many people (even vets) suggest it so casually. It's hardly casual to the cat who gets 10 toes amputated! (If you're not already sick of this topic or want more info, see:
http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?a ... w&item=002).

A not attractive solution (but it's under the bed, who cares) is to get one of those cheap blue tarps at the hardware store, trim it to fit the bottom frame of the box spring, and use a staple gun to fasten it all around. Don't think he'll find clawing that very entertaining!

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ooooh...the blue tarp idea is good! Although, he's rather persistant, and I'm thinking he'll give it his best shot to get into that as well - which could be an even worse experience at 5am that the cloth tearing noise.

My latest idea is similar to your tarp idea, but with plywood - completely blocking off access with a solid - and non wiggly - layer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts