Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All of us want to buy bigger bigs of kibbles for the savings, but how do you store them when it will last something like 6mths? Airtight container apparently is still not all that safe, cos kibbles will still be exposed to that little oxygen inside the container. What about vacuum sealing, which is the best way of keeping, but the cost of the bag alone is high, defeats the purpose of buying kibbles in bigger bag. Is refrigeration a good idea? How do you store yours?

·
Registered
978 Posts
I use a rubbermaid container for Tina's food. I usually buy 16lb bags of food and it keeps it fresh. You just have to be sure to clean it in between bags well.

We use rubbermaid containers at the shelter too. We can't have food in bags on the floor because of state law but it can be stored in rubbermaid containers on the floor. It's much easier to stack and store. No issues with it going bad there either.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thx for input. Will leave some out in tupperware and freeze the rest. But 1 more question, will there be any problem wif moisture after freezing? How to defrost the kibbles? Just leave it out in room temperature for a couple of hours will do?

·
Registered
238 Posts
I've been storing Orry's kibble in a large popcorn tin can which is kept in the pantry. Is there a problem with storing it in there? Should I switch to the rubbermaid container?

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
It helps to keep it fresh if you can squeeze out as much air as possible in those self-sealing bags. I would keep out only as much as you can use in a week, and keep the rest in a freezer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts