Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Well, my oldest cat who is 14 years old, has always been a indoor/outdoor cat. Now that she is older, and also has some kind of allergies, we have decided to make her indoor-only.

She has never known what a litterbox is because she would always go to the bathroom outside even though there are litterboxes inside. When she comes in for the night, and has to go to the bathroom, she goes right next to our toilet while we're asleep.

I was wondering how I can teach her to use a litterbox? Or can I not teach an old cat new tricks?

Abhay (momma of 10 rescue cats/kittens)

·
Banned
1,014 Posts
I think you should close her into a small room with litter, water and food until you are sure she is using the box. I think you should use an box without a lid because she is used to going out in the open. Make sure the clean the area very well with an enzyme cleaner to get all the smell out. That way she won't be enticed to keep going there. Hopefully that works.

·
Registered
18 Posts
if possible...try putting the litter box next to your toilet or whereever she is wanting to go. Or, even harder, if you she her going..carry her to the litter box. I don't know much about cats, and fortunatly haven't had any litterbox trouble (except they like to put socks in it), but I have noticed they like cleanliness and are pretty good at it.

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
I also suggest that you move the box to the location she seems to be doing her deed in. Maybe she'll be more inclined to use it since that's where she wants to go anyway.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts