Cat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had the kitty for 3 days now and he is no longer shy. He is everywhere. Unfortunately he expects us to be a little more robust than we are. Uses his teeth and his claws to play with us and simply climbs up on our clothing at lightning speed until he sits on someobody's shoulder.
He is light as a feather right now. But he will get heavier quickly and will need to use more claws to get up.

How do we gently teach him that he can't shred us to bits? I am not sure what age he is. I am guessing 4-5 weeks- will find out when we see the vet Saturday...

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Here are some tips to gentle your cat:

1) Never play with the kitten with your hands or feet, always use a toy to separate you

2) If when you are petting the kitten and he tries to claw or bite you, then stop moving completely and say "NO" firmly. Then when it seems he has stopped start petting him again, if he tries again, stop moving and say NO then stop petting him completely and wait to pet him for a while.

3) Keep some toys or treats in your pocket, If he runs and attacks your feet then before he gets to you, throw out the toys to distract him.

4) Hitting a cat (by which I mean a light tap with a finger on the cats head or body) will only make your cat more aggressive, also they will think that it is part of play (Kitty bit me once, I tapped her on the head, so she bit me again, so I tapped her again, so she bit me again...not the response I was trying to instill)

5) You can also use a water bottle. Kitty was biting me on a regular basis, not in play, in irritation, so to stop kitty from biting me, I would deliberately entice her to bite me (by petting her for a long time), then when she did it, I would spray her. She stopped biting me.

This is just what I have done but it seems to have worked, Kitty is the most gentle, loving kitty I know.

We're still working on Thomas.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts