Cat Forum banner
21 - 40 of 54 Posts
Discussion starter · #21 ·
Mama Tootsie is still pregnant. I'm pretty sure she's going to explode though--she's huge. Itsy is up to 1 lb 14 oz. I'm making the kittens' spay/neuter appointment for Thursday. I wouldn't mind waiting longer, until Itsy was bigger, but I really don't have the space to have multiple litters at once and I'm not sure exactly how I'll arrange everyone once Tootsie does pop. Tootsie *HATES* the large crates I have on hand--she needs a large-ish but enclosed space, which means either laundry room or bathroom. We only have 1 bathroom in the house, so she'll probably get the laundry room--much less human traffic in there. I don't want to put her older kittens in the garage (where Lucy is staying) 1.) because of the temperature--it's not freezing here but is getting cold and 2.) because it's not a very clean spot for their surgical wounds to heal up after they get snipped. I don't have a crate big enough for 6 kittens to live in. They'll probably stay in the bathroom for a few days post surgery and then they'll just have to be in the main part of the house with my permanent kitties until they get adopted. They will like that, but my permanent kitties will pitch a fit. Which is why I want to get them snipped and into homes asap.

I'll try to get another picture of mama's enormous belly. :)

Discussion starter · #22 ·
She's a lot less active the last few days, preferring to just lay there. She seems to have slowed down on her massive food binge and is eating roughly the same as a "regular" (non pregnant) cat the last 24 hours or so, but definitely still eating. Her last litter (the ones who are going to be spayed/neutered soon) had 7 kittens (one died before I was able to bring them to my place)....hopefully this litter is considerably smaller.

Updated photos:

Her belly rests on the table while she's eating now:

Poor Mama Tootsie... I'm just glad you're taking care of her now! It makes me sad that she's had to have so many litters because of irresponsible owners. I don't know much about those medicines and whether or not they could cause birth defects, but you didn't no, so even if they did it's not your fault. Hopefully the kittens will all be just peachy and the worrying will be for nothing. *Paws crossed and prayers sent your way* Keep us posted!

Discussion starter · #25 ·
Still no babies but she's furious I won't let her back in the garage. I think she decided her nest would be out there and is having to change her plans. Right now she's still parked in various spots around the kitchen and looking huge and uncomfortable. No signs of labor though.

Discussion starter · #26 ·
I thought she was going into labor last night and sat up with her until 2 am. Still no babies this morning though, and no signs of labor or distress, so I think I just got myself all excited for nothing. Her older babies are all getting spayed/neutered in the morning. She really needs to have these kittens. Any larger and I fear she will explode!

Discussion starter · #27 ·
STILL no babies. I've had her 7.5 weeks now, so she has to be getting close... I'm going to be so frustrated if she makes me wait another week and a half, partly because I'm impatient and partly because that would mean she got knocked up practically the day I rescued her, which would be extremely sad--if only I'd been there a few hours or days earlier, she wouldn't be pregnant. :(

My friend down in Texas who does cat rescues had a mama cat who got absolutely huge and the affectionately called her the "purring bus." I may have to dub Tootsie with that nickname if she doesn't pop soon.

I can't wait to see the new kittens - talk about getting more than you bargained for!

You're going to be so busy with 6 recovering from surgery, mom going into labor, and however many new kitties probably in the same week!

From an outside perspective my first thought is "OMG so many cute kitties!" If it were me, I'd be so overwhelmed though.

Do you have homes lined up for the previous kittens yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

Discussion starter · #30 ·
I don't plan on letting the older kittens have any contact at all with their mother once her labor starts. Right now everyone comes out to play in the house together and once in a while one of them will try to con her into feeding them, but for the most part their contact is limited. Once mama goes into labor she'll be in the laundry room with her new babies and the older kittens won't be allowed in at all, nor will any of the other cats. She'll have the laundry room completely to herself with just me coming in sometimes to "bother" her by feeding and checking on the babies. I'll only have the older ones for about another week or so. I am working on starting to get homes lined up for them. Everyone is doing well post-surgery, so I am on track for being able to home them this coming weekend. At the rate she's going, Mama Tootsie won't have popped by then anyway. Still no babies as of this morning and no signs of labor. She's huge. I'll see about getting an updated photo. :)

Discussion starter · #32 ·
Still no babies. I've had her 8 weeks as of tomorrow, so she's got to be within a week. She's starting to get that look on her face that I see on pregnant women between 8.5 and 9 months....the "just get the kid(s) the heck OUT of me...this is uncomfortable!" look.

Discussion starter · #35 ·
Still pregnant. :( I've had her for 8 weeks and 1 day, so she MUST be close. She's not showing any signs of imminent labor. Still got up to 10 more days to go to be considered within a normal term pregnancy. If she hasn't had them by next weekend I'll be taking her to my vet. I'm starting to get worried, but mama Tootsie isn't showing any signs of distress or problems, so for now I just have to sit on my hands. The suspense is killing me.

Discussion starter · #37 ·
Taken this morning...she's at least 8 weeks and 3 days along:

She looks "smaller" from the top though (and her hips finally aren't so bony!). Does this mean she's "dropped" and we're getting close?

Her shape does look different in that last picture. I hope this means that she's getting close. And I have to say, Tootsie looks just like my Midnight. Beautiful little girl you have there, Venusworld21.

You should be seeing and feeling lots of movement of the kittens in the abdomen. If you're not, and it does look to me like she's smaller in the abdomen from a previous photo, it possible she's resorbing the fetuses who may have died or she's having a "false pregnancy". If there'a any kind of foul smelling discharge, get her to the vet right away. Yes, it's a waiting game and I know how nerve wracking it can be.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.