Cat Forum banner

How to toughen up two kitties

3K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  amelia100 
#1 ·
My 9 month olds are rather cowardly these days. Bless them. LOL. I live in the city, so cant let them outdoors until i bring them to my mother's house in the country every two weeks or so; she has a lovely big garden. Now, they both started off there, when i first brought them home, for a bout three months, they seemed fine, loved going out in the garden. Since they've been city dwellers in my new apartment, it's like they've gotten acclimatised and used to be indoor cats. It's rather interesting to observe how adaptable cats can be. So nowadays when i bring them to my mother's house, they stay indoors most the time, unless I'M outdoors in which case they'll follow me like little over-dependent babies. LOL. It's a little irritating since i want them to enjoy the outdoors whilst their there.

Is this normal? Do they really adapt so quickly and rigidly to indoor living? I want them to be feisty, and know how to protect themselves against other cats. My mother's neighbour's cat now considers my mother's garden as IT'S territory, and i've caught my cats cowering and running away from it. LOL. It's a weird situation...

#2 ·
Under the circumstances, considering the neighbor's cat's behavior, I would keep them inside. Giving them a taste of the outdoors could also backfire on you, they could want out ALL the time when they're with you and they can't go out.

#3 ·
Or it could backfire the other way, they would want out ALL the time, get so tuckered out by playing and hunting outside that when they come in all they want to do is eat and sleep. Then when you're back home in the city, the cat is pestering you and meowing at the door to go outside.

I would not encourage your cats to play outside if they don't want to, especially with an aggressive neighbour's cat who considers you mother's property it's territory. Your cats are the wise ones in this instance, not cowardly. Cat fights usually result in bites and deep scratches that can result in infections= a trip to the vet and $$$.

#6 ·
Amelia - just so you are informed - I had an indoor cat that wanted to be outside so badly that I allowed him. He was a big cat, weighed about 15 pounds, and seemed to be able to hold his own. He was only outdoors for about 4 or 5 months when he got sick. I hadn't stopped and thought about his vaccinations not being up to date when I let him out and he got Feline Lukemia and Feline AIDS in a matter of weeks. I had to have him put down because there was nothing they could do for him. I still mourn him and wish I had just left him inside.

I have two cats now that are very curious about outside but I won't allow them to go out for this reason. The vet said my cat probably contracted the diseases from sniffing and etc another cat's butt.

Just make sure your vaccinations are current.

#7 ·
Amelia - just so you are informed - I had an indoor cat that wanted to be outside so badly that I allowed him. He was a big cat, weighed about 15 pounds, and seemed to be able to hold his own. He was only outdoors for about 4 or 5 months when he got sick. I hadn't stopped and thought about his vaccinations not being up to date when I let him out and he got Feline Lukemia and Feline AIDS in a matter of weeks. I had to have him put down because there was nothing they could do for him. I still mourn him and wish I had just left him inside.

I have two cats now that are very curious about outside but I won't allow them to go out for this reason. The vet said my cat probably contracted the diseases from sniffing and etc another cat's butt.

Just make sure your vaccinations are current.
Hi. Yep, they've had their vaccinations and are due their next boost in around four months. We had a persian full breed who lived indoors and yet went outdoors everyday for 15 years, which is when he died. As long as I vaccinate them, It's likely to be ok, but thanks for the reminder, it's good that i don't get complacent.

As for everyone else, they are mostly indoor cats, about 90 percent of the time, I just don't want them to go stir crazy inside, so I give them some free reign every once in a while. I don't believe in exclusive indoor living for animals.

#8 ·
I should have added that I think it's good for cats to get outside for a change of scene. I used walk my stud cats with a harness and leash when I was into breeding. My two Devons go out in a pet stroller for a walk in an adjacent park. They like the change of scene, but are happy come back home too, and it satisfies them and they don't have any desire to go out.

#11 ·
I live in the city too, have for the last 3 years. My 9 year old cat grew up in the country. Loved being outdoors. Once we moved to the city, things changed. Now, my three cats are only allowed outside on a leash. And they know it. How do I know they know it? When they want to go out, my cats bring me their leashes! Don't push your cats outside. Your cats are smart creatures. If they want to go outside, fine. But make sure it's on a leash so that you know they are going to be alright and not get hurt by another animal (or worse, get killed).

#12 ·
Expecting cats to be happy as house cats for two weeks and then turn into indoor/outdoor cats for the weekend, in a strange territory that has already been claimed by another cat, then to easily revert back to being house cats for the next two weeks is quite unrealistic imo. I suggest you allow your cats to be as they wish to be and stop projecting your desires onto them.

#13 ·
Well, ok. I understand that. So for an update, i'm fine with them and their quirks now, i understand they know what is best for them. Like just now, I'm in the city, i left the apartment and they went running out the door so i said, fine, clearly they want out. Did my shopping errands which took about 10 mins, got back to my front door and there they were, waiting to be let back in. LOL. They are indeed, indoor cats these days, with the odd excursion into the 'wild'. I think they'll be happy with that. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.