Cat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Prelude: Vaccuum the entire house, pretend the burning, rancid smell from the vaccuum is normal, pretend there really was a difference in the house after you were done. Discreetly put away the vaccuum and hope the problem goes away on its own.

Five weeks later: Acknowledge that the dust bunnies have become dust yetis, and the vaccuum must be faced.

1. Hope the problem went away on its own five weeks ago, and begin vaccuuming.

2. Acknowledge that the burning rancid smell has filled the house. Normal, check.

3. Acknowledge that the hair is not coming up off the carpet. Seminormal, check.

4. Acknowledge that the vaccuum is spitting out more than it sucks up. Abnormal.

5. Empty out the vaccuum bag (reusable plastic barrel thingy). Surely that fixes the problem. Notice that the filters at the top of the barrel are completely invisible with dust--clean those for good measure. Five filters later, reattach the bag. Problem fixed. Turn on the vaccuum.

6. Acknowledge that the burning rancid smell and regurgitation are still happening. Proceed to plan B.

7. Flip over the vaccuum, cut away about a quarter inch of human hair wrapped around the entire roller bar. Problem fixed! Turn it rightside up, and turn on the vaccuum.

8. Acknowledge that the burning rancid smell and regurgitation are still happening. Proceed to plan C.

9. Flip over the vacuum again, try to remove the plate covering the roller bar. Realize you have to remove the entire plate on the bottom of the vaccuum. Get the electric screwdriver and go to town.

10. Realize that you should have put a bag beneath the vaccum, as when the plate is removed ten pounds of pet hair and dirt falls out--on the carpet. Clean out all visible pet hair. Notice the belt that rotates the roller bar is invisible, covered with human hair. Cut away over a half inch deep collection of hair, replace all contents on the vaccuum. Problem solved! A rotating roller bar is useful. Turn the vaccuum upright and turn on power.

11. Acknowledge that regurgitation is still happening, and nothing is getting vaccuumed up. Proceed to plan D.

12. Remove the long hose thing to attach a nozzel and bypass the entire roller bar area. Upon removal, notice that the four foot long hose is completely, solidly packed with pet hair and dirt that isn't going anywhere (except the pound of it that fell out onto the carpet from the very end of the hose). Get three knives, two knitting needles, two pairs of barbecue tongs, and a two foot barbecue fork and begin digging. Remove all visible hair and dirt. Reattach hose, problem MUST be solved now! Turn on vaccuum.

13. Acknowledge that regurgitation is still happening, and nothing is getting vaccuumed up. Proceed to plan E.

14. Inspect the hose, realize there is approximately six feet of extendable hose that have to have a holding bar removed to access the additional hose. Relocate electric screwdriver, go to town, repeat step 12, reattach hardware. Problem's probably not fixed, turn on the vaccuum anyway.

15. Joyously acknowledge mastery of the vaccuum when the burning smell, regurgitation, and lack of vaccuuming have now disappeared. Vaccuum the approximate 100 square feet of house for the four necessary minutes, and put away the vaccuum.

Time required to fix the vaccuum: 1.5 hours

Time required to vaccuum: 4 minutes.

·
Super Moderator
26,394 Posts
My vacuum cleaner died a few weeks ago - same thing, horrible burning smell and the round thing wouldn't rotate. But I don't do repairs. I bought a new cheap little one at Target, got it home and it was a million pieces you have to put together! Maria reminded me about Craigslist - how could I forget about Craigslist? Returned the cheap little vacuum cleaner and got a nice big used Eureka for $20.

But my hat's off to you for repairing yours!! Mine's still in the corner. Dead.

·
Registered
981 Posts
chaoticborders said:
Oh, Ive been there... Got rid of the carpet, lol
Ha LOL I have stained floors so all I do is grab the dust mop and walk around the house with it now!!!! I hate vacuming so its nice!!!

·
Registered
535 Posts
i love my dyson have had it only a yr and it is still going.
but all the other vacums only lasted one yr and i changed so many belts and cleaned them and they still kicked the bucket.

my dyson still has to have the beater cleaned evey 2nd time and i vacum once or twice a day. i have 4 dogs 2 cats and 2 long haired humans.

·
Registered
243 Posts
LOL, you hit the nail right on the head with that one.

Usually for us, 2. Acknowledge that the burning rancid smell has filled the house. Normal, check. is followed by discovery that the belt is broken.

Mick

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
camel24j said:
i love my dyson have had it only a yr and it is still going.
but all the other vacums only lasted one yr and i changed so many belts and cleaned them and they still kicked the bucket.

my dyson still has to have the beater cleaned evey 2nd time and i vacum once or twice a day. i have 4 dogs 2 cats and 2 long haired humans.
These Dyson recommendations are very high indeed! I'll remember this when I get my own vacuum. This one's my uncle's. And I was raised that the burning smell is normal--we never had a vacuum that didn't do that. I've just never quite believed it SHOULD be normal for some reason :) I'm weird that way.

·
Registered
246 Posts
They are expensive but AMAZING. Just amazing. I have the DC 17, specifically for animal hair, and when guests come over they wonder if we have pets now.... well, assuming I've vacuumed recently. My chairs that were getting yucky and furry are now spotless, and it's the only thing that gets dog hair out of the carpet. The cat hair is a breeze in comparison.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts