Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We found a 5 week old kitten by the highway and took him home so he wouldn't get run over. Since there weren't any houses nearby, we expected him to be a little wild but the little kitty soon grew accustomed to indoor life.
In the beginning we fed him canned cat food, later moistened kibble, etc.
He is now 10 weeks old and either plays with us, waiting for us at the door to be able to attack us etc, or he gets into his cuddle mood meaning he will try to nurse.
We NEVER bottle fed this kitten. How should we gently wean him. We both are slightly allergic so cat drool on our necks and faces leaves us with red skin.
I'd love for him to sit with us and let us pet him but no matter how often I put him on the floor, he always climbs back up for more nursing...

·
Registered
6,801 Posts
persistance.
mother cats would growl and hiss when they come to suckle.
maybe keep putting him down with a stern no, a lot of times.... i know how persistant they can be ;)

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Persistence, yes! And distraction--have a toy or rolled up sock or something handy that you can distract him with.

BTW you might want to take a look at our articles on aggression if he is turning into an "ankle biter." Of course, it is vital that you *never* play with him with your bare hands or feet! http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?action=library

Also, never get kibble wet. It is a breeding ground for bacteria if it is moistened. Use canned food instead.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

1 - 4 of 4 Posts