Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any tips on how to win over a cat that is terrified of you literally? I've tried food but it doesn't work, I've tried holding him but that doesn't work either. He always hisses, always growls if I get close to him.

·
Registered
917 Posts
sit in the same room with him, maybe reading out loud so he gets used to your voice, don't try to grab him or anything, just let him come to you on his own terms. just be around him and get him used to your presence in a non threatening way.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My grandparents also have a cat that is terrified of me, a big, very fat Tonka named Butch. Faile's idea should work... I know that with Butch, if I sit long enough (still enough) in one place, he eventually comes out to investigate. Even then, he is very nervous around me, but it's a start. The main thing has definitely got to be SERIOUS patience. Just try sitting very still very quietly at first, and don't move while he's around. Then, once he starts to get used to that, try reading and let him get accustomed to your voice. Perhaps try leaving treats out for him nearby while you're around to encourage him to try to come out (he probably won't take it out of your hand for a while). Like I say, most of all, just try to be very patient; it might a long time. Let him get used to your presence in the room for a while before you try anything else.

·
Registered
252 Posts
It will just take lots of time and patience. One of my cats was just like that when we first got her, she had never even been touched by a humsn before. It took several weeks, but she does great now.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Took my 2 scaredy-cat closet dwellers 6 years to start enjoying sitting on a lap and being held. Time, love, patience, and consistency are the keys. Although flower essences do help with the fear and move the process along. http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?a ... ritessence. Mine get essences every day of their little furry lives.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanx but...

yea, I thought patience was the way. It took me 6 months once to get close to a cat. Well, I've been with this one so far for just over a month. But another thing is that this one is as terrified of me as he is of his owner who brought him up right from when he was born. Its been a little more than 8 months now, but he is just as shy, just as scared of getting close to the owner as he is of me. Any insights in that? I thought he'd at least be comfortable with the owner by now.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Some cats are just naturally skittish and hand-shy; it's very difficult to overcome.

Flower essences are really wonderful for fearful kitties; start with just Rescue Remedy, or a more specific formula can be found at www.spiritessence.com. I've found that fear is one of the easiest things to treat with essences.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

1 - 7 of 7 Posts