Cat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It gets pretty toasty in Phoenix. I have the A/C on a timer when I'm at work, but next month I will be bringing a kitty home.

What's the warmest you would let it get in the summer?

I'm guessing in the winter he'd be okay at cool temperatures,like 64?

Thanks all

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
I don't have AC and this week it's been about 89-91 and MowMow's fine. I have a fan for circulation and he seems to find the coolest spots to sleep.

·
Super Moderator
26,801 Posts
No heat or a/c here, they deal with the same stuff I do. The first weekend I brought the twins home, we broke records, and it was 99 in the house. We all melted just a little bit.....

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So it sounds like 88 for 5-6 hours a day is okay. Yes, I have ceiling fans to keep the air moving.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Even though I live in the basement of my dad's house, it still gets pretty warm. Right now it's 85, and I have one "box" fan on the floor set at lowest level, just for a little bit of a breeze.

Zinny isn't even in the house... she goes outside where it's 95+, and stays all day. Though it is a bit cooler in the shade under the trees, so I assume she is doing okay with settling down somewhere like that.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
From what I know, you'll feel start feeling uncomfortable long before the cat(s) would since their body temp is higher than a human's. I think a bigger problem would be in the winter when they're susceptible to frostbite.

·
Super Moderator
26,801 Posts
No heat or A/C??? I'm trying to get my mind around that concept.
The heating systems in these crappy little houses on this cul-de-crap don't work, so we all use space heaters. Sucks big-time.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I think she means no heating in the winter and no a/c in the summer so she's in the same boat as her kitties are in terms of ambient temperature.
And that is why san Diego is awesome. :)
Here in Kansas, this summer has been rough on a lot of animals, so no a/c would be bad, bad, bad. But an average temp of the high 80's wouldn't hurt them at all. Your kitty should be fine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts