Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 11-year old male cat has, for about the past 5 years or so has been going through our closet and drawers in the basement dragging out socks, gloves, hats, etc. every night. While he's doing this though he is howling very loudly. every morning i come downstairs and there's always something he dragged out on the floor. When I stay up late every now and then I catch him dragging these things out to our living room, howling, drops them in the middle of the floor comes over to me, while still howling, and rubs against my leg. any idea on why he does this?

·
Banned
1,014 Posts
I have no advice to offer but just wish to share a similar experience. We moved into our new house in November which is about the same time my kitties were put on a strict diet. Since then they have all lost about 4 lbs and my oldest male (about 7 yrs) has started the howling thing in the middle of the night. I'm not sure if it is related to the weight-loss at all but they have gone through so many changes due to it, that I felt it might be significant. Everytime I catch him howling, he always is carrying a toy mouse. He doesn't do it as often now as he did during the winter.

Recently my female cat has also started doing it as well, except it always happens about 4:30 in the afternoon. She is only nine lbs and she always finds her treasures in my sock drawer :lol: . Rolled up socks and pantyhose are her favourite things to drag around as she is howling.

So I have no idea what it means, or how to stop it but my cats have been to the vet repeatedly in the last year and they are 100% healthy. So no worries there, I imagine :wink: .

·
Registered
23 Posts
I am curious about this too - my experience is a bit different though. One of mine has a nightly ritual where I go to bed - he goes pee - then he meowls loudly for the mothership - then he jumps up in bed with me and curls up.

He never meows like that any other time; it's louder and seems to have different vocal ranges/pronounciations. Is he just practicing opera when there is no other noise around, is he expressing displeasure at my going to bed, or is he just nuts?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts