Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a part Siamese cat, at least 15 years old who has a habit of howling - unbelievably loudly-. Used to just do it at night, but now does it at all hours. Sometimes when she's alone and sometimes when you're in the room. Thought at first that it was loneliness or hunger but that doesn't seem to be the case. Could she be practicing to be a jungle cat? Anybody else have a howler and figured out what the problem is?

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Does your cat seem confused? Cats can experience a form of dementia, like Alzheimers in people. Decreased hearing and vision can add to the confusion. Try talking to your cat to see if that helps. Make sure the rooms are well lit.

Then again, it could be she just likes to hear her own voice.

·
Registered
12,679 Posts
My aged Siamese began to have 'geriatric episodes'...she'd get "lost" if she left my bedroom and stepped into the hallway. As soon as she heard me call to her, or I popped my head around the door or picked her up to bring her back to my room, she was fine.
She began doing that at around age 17 and got progressively worse as she aged, but from about age 19-or-so she really didn't leave my room much at all. She lived to be 21.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Confusion, disorientation, urinary tract infection, scared, pain? I adopted an 11 yr old cat years ago who howled at night then all the time. Turns out he had liver stones (rare in cats) so he was painful and scared. Maybe a vet visit would help. Maybe at night you can quarentine him to one room, see if that helps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Last time I took her to the vet, she scratched the h--- out the vet, so she's really not welcome there. I believe, as somebody said, she gets confused about where she is and howls. She seems to have that look occasionally that says "where am I and who are you?"
If I speak to her the howling stops.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts