Cat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is some new information, that frankly makes me upset.
I doubt that I will be helping, or adopting from any humane societies any longer.

On January 7, in a very disturbing move, The Humane Society of the United States (HSUS) announced that the Iams Company will be the "Grand National Sponsor" of HSUS' "Pet Fest America." According to the HSUS Web site, "Pet Fest America is designed to showcase The Humane Society of the United States (HSUS) in a very positive festive atmosphere." This unholy alliance with Iams is the work of Paul Irwin, president and CEO of HSUS.

Iams, which is under public fire for allowing cruelty to dogs in its contract laboratories, is giving HSUS an undisclosed amount of money for the opportunity to sponsor the events and make itself look good. By allowing Iams to sponsor Pet Fest, HSUS has provided cover for a company trying desperately to suppress criticism of its pet-food testing policies and to shift attention away from the suffering and dying animals PETA found in an Iams contract laboratory, the second time in a matter of a few years that PETA has exposed cruelty to dogs and cats used by Iams. HSUS is well aware of what PETA uncovered and well aware of Iams' long history of animal abuse, which includes creating diseases and injuries in dogs and cats to test its foods. By taking money from Iams and allowing it to ally itself with HSUS in this "positive festive" forum, HSUS is aiding and abetting Iams' efforts to sweep cruelty under the rug. It is lending cover and a marketing opportunity to a company that it should be actively opposing-a company that misleads consumers into believing that it cares about cats and dogs. Instead, HSUS should tell Iams to stop laboratory tests on dogs and cats, as some other dog-food companies with fewer resources have done.

This growing financial relationship between HSUS and Iams creates a conflict of interest. Andrew Rowan, vice president of HSUS, is a member of the Iams Animal Care Advisory Board, a supposedly "independent group" whose purpose is to review and evaluate Iams' policies and facilities "to ensure the health and well being of dogs and cats" confined in Iams laboratories. One has to ask how HSUS can be an impartial member of the advisory board of the company that pays for its events.

Other sponsors of the HSUS event include Veterinary Pet Insurance (VPI), which is partially owned by Iams and whose founder and CEO is well-known big-game hunter Jack Stephens, and Petsafe, maker of "pet containment" and painful "bark control" shock collars for dogs.

Local humane societies and shelters across the country, operations with far less money than HSUS, have had the decency to take a stand for animals and have stopped purchasing and promoting Iams products. Some have even mailed back to Iams the promotional "starter kits" that it gives to shelters to hand out to new companion-animal guardians (to promote Iams foods, of course), along with letters explaining why they will not purchase or promote Iams products until the company stops confining dogs and cats to laboratory cages to test on them, year after year. People who care about animals should never provide cover to those who abuse and kill them.

Please write to Paul Irwin, president and CEO of HSUS, and urge him to immediately sever all financial relationships with Iams-including ending the sponsorship and participation in Pet Fest America by Iams and the company it partially owns, Veterinary Pet Insurance. And please, do not believe the pathetic form letter that you will get back from HSUS. Keep pushing until HSUS gets on the animals' side of this battle:

Paul G. Irwin, President and CEO
Humane Society of the United States
2100 L St. N.W.
Washington, DC 20037
301-258-3008
301-258-3077 (fax)

Thank you for all you do for animals,

Caleb Wheeldon

Campaigns Assistant

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals

www.iamscruelty.com

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Look, I'm not saying it's right or wrong... but yeesh can we get an article from an unbiased source?

This is a blurb from the IAMS site.

I post it because it's just as slanted as the PETA article. :wink:

"The Humane Society of the United States is aware of the incident regarding the treatment and care of the animals used in the Iams pet food study. An animal activist group sent us the materials gathered by an undercover operative. We were in touch with Iams to express our concern about the matter, and they told us that they were conducting an immediate and urgent review not only of the site in question, but of all their external nutrition projects. The resulting investigation found some sites that could not meet the Iams standards and led Iams to reduce the number of external facilities. Iams decided to seek expert advice from outside the company to continue improving the conditions for the dogs and cats in their projects. Accordingly, Iams has established an International Animal Care Advisory Board to advise them on how to enhance the well-being of the dogs and cats and insure future compliance with their nutrition research policy. Dr. Andrew Rowan of the Humane Society of the United States was asked to be on the Board and has agreed to serve. Other members include representatives of the American SPCA, Universities Federation for Animal Welfare in the UK and the Helen Woodward Animal Center in California. The HSUS also works with Iams on other projects. We believe that through these projects and the relationship they foster, we can help improve the treatment of pets, celebrate the value of the bond between pets and people, improve the overall welfare of animals and serve the specific needs of the animals that are enrolled in Iams nutrition studies. It is a major goal of The HSUS to encourage corporate and public policy changes that can have a meaningful, lasting benefit for animals."

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
While PETA is a little uppidy on themselves, I don't think their information is entirely biased. It wouldn't matter to me who wrote up that colum. Iam's has been in trouble repeatedly, and always making the same claims, and then falling short.
I personally stay far away from supporting anything dealing with iams/p&g, and apparently that means the HSUS. This article was interesting to say the least.
Personally taking a statement from Iam's site, I feel is definetly biased, lol. Of course they are going to make themselves look good. ;)

I think there are many more things the HSUS could be focusing on, and I wish there was more straight forward information out there. But honestly, who really knows which one of these articles we always read about is the truth. So I'll just stay away from all of it. lol.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
It's very difficult to find an article, especially on a topic like this, that does not contain any spin. I'll see if I can find something from an unbiased source.

·
Premium Member
28,623 Posts
That's a difficult task for anyone who is searching for the real truth. It's much easier when you have a bias! It's very frustrating, I know. Even scientists tend to see only what supports the theory they're trying to prove. That's human nature. It's more difficult for someone to find unbiased sources which will eventually lead to the truth. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
I couldn't come up with anything. There were more links from hunters angry at Iams for the alliance than there were anti HSUS links. I was unaware that the HSUS is the biggest anti-hunting organization in the country.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I think you can probably find equally negative things about just about any major pet food company, so I just don't let the press make my decision on pet foods. I pick out brands that provide good nutrition, and see which one my pets do best on. I do feed Iams to my ferrets and to Gracie because it's really hard to get high quality food here without spending a fortune, and they all love Iams. My female ferret has been on a mixture of Iams and a ferret food for her entire life, and she loves it-the only time I tried to change her food she got sick because of it, so I never tried to change again-my animals health is more important to me then worrying about all the back stabbing that goes on. I don't know who's telling the truth and who's lying, so until there's solid facts from an unbias sorce, I'll continue to feed Iams to my animals. I don't prefere Iams, but it's the least expensive premium food available here. If other premium brands where readily available, I'd probably switch my cat, but the ferrets are on Iams until the day they die.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Iams, HSUS, and PETA

Let me admit right off the top that I am not an unbiased party! I was a full-time animal rights activist for 2 years with the Animal Protection Institute, and I am still an advisor to In Defense of Animals. I have worked with both IDA and PETA on the anti-Iams campaign and provided a lot of deep background for both.

HSUS accepts a great deal of money from pet food companies, including Iams, Purina, and others. HSUS, as much good as they do, is not above collusion with "the enemy." Personally, I don't trust 'em, Andrew Rowan in particular, since he has dealt shamefully with a personal friend of mine.

Iams (and Eukanuba) are wholly owned subsidiaries of Procter & Gamble, which continues to test its products on animals despite years of protests.

Iams (and Hill's, which was and is very similar) used to be the gold standard in pet nutrition, but no more. They now use inferior ingredients (by-products and grains) and I do not recommend any Iams product at this point.

In our interactions with Iams, they have proven to be duplicitous and untrustworthy. They say one thing and do another. They make promises they have no intention of keeping. I am seriously disappointed in them, even though I had no great expectations to begin with! They refuse to make even the slightest steps toward creating policies that will reduce animal suffering at their hands. Yeah, they "fired" the lab that PETA exposed. But there are dozens more, not to mention the hundreds of animals they keep in their own facilities. I have in my personal files dozens of studies in which animals suffered and died, for the sole purpose of testing pet foods.

Hundreds of cats have had 7/8 of their kidneys surgically removed to test "kidney" diets. Puppies were killed to measure their bones. It's utterly appalling, and so far, no pet food company, including Iams, is willing to be impeded in any way from continuing these experiments. They "say" they don't do them any more. But who can tell?

Anyway, that's the 2 cents from someone who has actually done the research and participated in the dialog with Iams and others. (I'm told that Iams is afraid of me -- GOOD!)

Cheers (or not!),
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
917 Posts
i'm extremely glad to hear that iams is afraid of you, dr. jean!! i have been cunducting a personal boycott of all p&g products for awhile now.

while i agree you have to take everything PETA says/does with a grain of salt, i think it is far better to trust in something they say then in something some massive corporation says.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have been an active participant in IDA for years now. Peta however, there are just too many things myself and other members butt heads on. But over the years I have helped them with mutual objectives.

Regaurdless of all this he said, she said back and forth.
P&G has admitted to said claims of negligance towards their lab animals, that's enough proof for me. I stay far away from anything they are associated with.
Even if some of you find that a personal matter of opinion. It's still one I am going to tote around and share with everyone.

To those whom give people like myself a hard time because we are biased. We have the right to be, as we have spent many hours/days/weeks dedicated to finding out the truth for ourselves. This doesn't always come in the form of some article off the web.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
AngelZoo said:
To those whom give people like myself a hard time because we are biased.
I hope I didn't come off that way, I certainly didn't mean to. My apologies if I did. :wink: We're all biased about something. My bias is against PETA; I think they do some wonderful things, but sometimes they're so self righteous... it really irks me.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Padunk: lol no, it wasn't targeted at you.

You have to realize how often I'm part of discussions like this, and how often I am met with trouble makers and nay sayers. It's just an automatic reponce, sometimes even I get tired of saying the same thing over and over.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts