Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok pardon my ignorance but do the humane society and other shelters really euthanize their animals??? do they have a set amount of time for this? it's so sad!! my kitty's mom is in a shelter now and I am worried they will euthanize her. :(

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Depends on the shelter on both whether they euthanize and how long they'll keep an animal before its time is up. Up above, there's a link to a list of "no-kill" shelters by state. Many areas just don't have the shelter capacity to handle the enormous volume that comes in...in some cases, very adoptable dogs can get lucky and be shipped to another shelter (usually in another state) that has space...the big shelter up here gets a lot of dogs from high-kill shelters in Georgia and West Virginia, but I doubt that cats get the same kind of treatment. :(

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Well, unfortunately, yes........some do. There ARE no-kill shelters, some areas have more than other. Sadly, where I live, there are mainly kill-shelters (meaning they DO put them to sleep), and since they are so crowded, cats and dogs only get about 3 days to be adopted before they are euthanized :cry: Some shelters are able to hold them longer.......it varies. If you want to find out, your best bet would be to call the shelter she is at and ask them.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
The cat overpopulation is so sad. I just recently read in one of the posts here that some shelters just don't have the room and euthanize cats within 2 days if not adopted. Also being that the cat you have spoken of is an adult, there is even less chance of her being adopted. :(

Please call them and ask.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I adopted all our kitties from our local city shelters, and they do kill pets after a certain period, so it makes me feel even better about saving my little guys before they got gassed. I know that Ginza was on death row - he was the last of his litter, he had a hernia and needed an operation, so no one else wanted him. We are so thankful we were able to get this wonderful little boy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts