Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My little feral who is male and 2 years old came into my breezeway all cut up and crying. He easily went in a carrier so $1000 dollars later I am caring for him in my basement. He was neutered while he was being stitched and given his shots. He cries a lot and I am feeding him 4 times per day. I even tried sleeping on the couch in the basement to get him more comfortable. He is not a happy little guy right now and I cannot let him out for 2 weeks.

My question is will he calm down especially after being neutered? I don't want him to run away or get eaten by the coyotes around my house. He is just a small guy and always gets beaten by other cats and who knows what else. I can tell he is miserable and I have 2 indoor females already and cannot keep in inside with them.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Oh poor little guy. In my experience most ferals tend to be quite noisy, is he normally? Do you think he is crying because he is scared and in some pain or because he wants to go back out,although he seems to have a tough existence from which you seem to be the only relief. Do you think he may be a candidate for adoption? I cannot remember how long you can keep a feral cat away from its territory before it loses it. Maybe it would be worth talking to Alley Cat Allies for some advice

·
Premium Member
3,537 Posts
Thank you for helping this little guy. I am no expert but I am pretty sure he will calm down. Right now he is hurt, scared and in an unfamiliar place. Others here may be more qualified to give you advice. Put a used tshirt on his bed or wherever he likes to sleep when you are not there so he can smell you. Buy some Feliway plug in or spray that may help cal him down. Give him yummy treats and make sure he has a few toys and a scratching post. Make the basement his happy place. Again thank you for helping this boy.

·
Banned
693 Posts
Yes, thank you for helping the little guy out. We had a feral at our old house that started coming around spraying and always in fights. We caught him and had him fixed. OY on the yowling and screeching and being quite upset. We had a sunspace where we left the cage he came home in but it takes weeks before the hormones diminish. The smell of his urine was enough to make me want to puke even sleeping upstairs. I finally told DH we had to let him go...between the smell and the crying, it was just unbearable for all concerned.
So we did...let him go. I was expecting to never see him again. By 3pm, he came for his usual feeding and from then on, never left the area and started coming and finally sleeping with us. We actually took him when we moved and he is the most loveable and affectionate and (still noisy) sweet boy.
I hope you have equal success.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He is a talker when he is hungry or sees another cat. I went down to feed him and give him his antibiotics and he hissed at me then let me pet his head for a bit. I think he is scared. The one thing the vet did not do that really irritated me was take his ticks off. He has had 5 huge full ticks fall off so far and I see another one on his neck.
His name is Chip, he has no interest in the toys but I can hear him using the scratching post. I would love to see if he could be adopted but at this point I don't think so.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Chip is so skinny. What can I feed him to help him put on some pounds? He has had diarrhea for the past 2 days and also had a UTI so I am worried about giving him dry food.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Letting you pet him is a positive step forward. His tummy is probably awfully small so he may not eat a lot but with kitten food he's getting lots of calories. Is he pooping a d peeing good?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I put down litter that is natural so the dust wouldn't get into his wounds so I cannot tell. Before when I got him in the garage for the night I had regular litter and the spots were tiny and he was going often so I am hoping the neutering helped his UTI. He has had diarrhea for the past few days and now isn't eating much but did eat treats from my hand.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What are the chances a shelter will take him? I do not want him to go back out but cannot keep him because I already have 2.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Chances are slim to none he would be adopted. Most shelters are so full of very adoptable cats that ferals are put down.

Some of his distress with digestion might be due to worms. Most ferals have worms.

·
Premium Member
9,137 Posts
Please keep him inside for awhile till he is healed. He will probably come around socially. He doesn't sound feral. Just abandoned, scared and not feeling well. I hope your vet gave him a conienia shot which last for a week or two. We use this for cats which cant be handled and have to go back out after they are better. Can you put an add in your paper or craigs list to try to find him a home if he warms up to you? You did a wonderful deed. Bless you.

Do you have a fountain? It would help get his UTI under control. Otherwise this can get bad fast. Its important to keep him drinking. Its important you get his diareha under control too. That can dehydrate a cat, fast.

If you cant find him a home then continue to feed and water him once you release him. Give him shelter in the cold months. He looks like a sweet cat. Doesn't have that feral look in his eyes that true feral give you.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
He was born in the barn next door to me. When he was a kitten I couldn't catch him because he would squeeze between the fence and run away. He slept in my garage all winter with his mom and brother but they started picking on him so I opened my breezeway for him. He is 2 years old and I've been feeding him for over a year now.

I have a fountain and will try that but I have never seen him drink water. This is why I only feed him wet food.

·
Banned
693 Posts
If he was given an antibiotic, that will help with the UTI, unfortunately, it messes with the belly and it could be why he has diarrhea. If he has never been wormed, I would try that too. The feral girl I caught wanted to eat badly but could only eat a tiny amount. If we had not wormed her, she would surely have died from lack of nutrition.

It is a shame you cannot keep him. We had 2 and when the last feral (the one I wrote about previously) "needed" us, we took him in and the other 2 adjusted very well; surprisingly well. But I get that it is another mouth to feed and cost can become an issue sometimes.
Best to you both.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm not happy with the vet. I asked him to worm and remove the ticks and he did not. I have no problem feeding the little guy, it's just one of my cats has behavioral problems. They both hiss at the basement door when they hear him. I just can't have another cat inside.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts