Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband and I feed some ferals; 3 females and 1 male. There are 2 litters plus one of the females looks pregnant again. From what I know they'd breed while still teaching their first litter. What worries me is that the possibly pregnant one seems to have hurt a leg, drags it and there's a bump on her hip. I'd like to take her to the vet_am planning on it anyways to have her spayed as well as the others and the kittens when they are older_ now I don't think her prospects are good b/c she's the least social (we must hid so she eats or she will dissapear until there's nobody around) don't know if she'll recover.
Her kittens are 2 mo old, what would happen if she dies? With her kittens I mean? Would the others cats adopt them?
No human adoption available at the moment; I'm sure they will have to be checked and quarantined, then socialized.
Then there's Paula, 10 m0+ old, the other lactating F (her mother is the hurt one). She's at the point of being spayed but she's so small, I'm sure she doesn't weigh more than 2+ pounds.
I've heard surgery isn't safe for a underweight cat. How do I go about it?
Thank-you so much!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Hello Rosalie,
I have seen your post before and I apologize I didn't have time to answer it.
From my experience of working with feral cats and trapping them I can give you a few hints on how to deal with your situation.
About the injured & pregnant cat - depending on how serious her injury is the vet might decide to abort her kittens in order for her to get better on her own. You will need to plan trapping her. Put the food for her each time (have a feeding schedule) at the same place. Do not feed her too much previous to the day when you plan your trapping. Set a humane trap (shelters will loan you one) and put just a little bit of canned food where she will lay the first step in the cage. Then put a lot more at the end. Actually place the food on the ground and then place the end of the cage right on top of it. The food will slide right up. You don't want to leave any bowls that might cause her to get injured while in the cage. It will help a great deal to cover the cage with a sheet while catching her - making it look like a tunnel. This way she won't feel she will enter a *contraption*. Watch from a reasonable distance so no other cats but the one you aim for gets in. Lure the more friendly ones in your direction with little food.
You could catch her before taking her to the vet and leave her in your garage overnight - covered with the sheet at all times will keep her calm.
Make sure you protect your garage and car while transporting her. Place cardboards and lots of newspapers under the cage since she may have accidents.
The vet will give you more advice on how to deal with her after the surgery. Ask any questions - I will be happy to share my experience.
As for the young kittens - they are indeed too small to be altered - if you are feeding them on a regular basis let them grow up a little more and then take them in.
The other cats might take care of them or not - depending on their society structure, personalities. But they are old enough to know and stick around. You feeding them will help a lot. The mom will keep calling them to eat and stay with them even after she will be spayed.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Ioana,
Thank-you very much for the valuable directions on how to proceed :!: . Only one cat showed up at feeding time this morning :( _it rained last night so probably they are hiding someplace.
I'll try to trap her and have her checked as soon as possible. It's good to know the kittens might stick around.
I've this penchant for naming everything so couldn't resist naming them; there's Paula; Malin (the hurt F), then Nerina (F) and maybe Leo (M). And the kittens. Thank-you again.
(to be continued.. :arrow: )

1 - 3 of 3 Posts