Cat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
That's so sweet! I had a hybrid cat that came around my place during the summer. I'm pretty sure he was someone's indoor/outdoor cat, since he was well fed and was never seeking food, and I haven't seen him since the cold weather set in. Anyway, he was an orange cat from the head to the waist and a brown tabby from the waist to the tail! When I first saw him sitting on my outside windowsill, I thought it was two cats cuddled togeher, but I then saw there was only one cat. I nicknamed him Two-Cats!

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I figure the real breed of this cat is a Turkish Van ... but Lemur-cat is better! LOL

Now I kinda want to look for other "hybrids"... but I have too much work this week to waste time like that.
There's a cat at adoptions the last few weeks that we've been calling "coon-cat", because he has a mask around his eyes just like a raccoon.

·
Premium Member
2,855 Posts
Looks like the Photoshop breed to me! :p But now that I've looked up the Turkish Van, that could also be a real possibility! Though, do any cats actually have orange black and white markings...?

·
Registered
5,269 Posts
Cuteness overload....love the tail!

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
... he was an orange cat from the head to the waist and a brown tabby from the waist to the tail! When I first saw him sitting on my outside windowsill, I thought it was two cats cuddled togeher, but I then saw there was only one cat.
I nicknamed him Two-Cats!
You know what? ... your 'nickname' was probably CORRECT!!!!! In horses, that phenomenon isn't called a hybrid, it is called "chimeric". When genetic testing is done, with samples taken from the two different areas, the results come back as if they were from two completely different animals ... not the SAME animal.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There can be chimeric humans too... I think it's like fraternal twins that didn't really separate - too close to be "conjoined", but features can be split down the middle (like birth marks, or skin coloring, hair coloring, etc.)

Chimera (genetics) - Wikipedia

·
Premium Member
2,855 Posts
There can be chimeric humans too... I think it's like fraternal twins that didn't really separate - too close to be "conjoined", but features can be split down the middle (like birth marks, or skin coloring, hair coloring, etc.)

Chimera (genetics) - Wikipedia
I think I saw something about this on TV. A women was trying to get extra money every month to support her kids but the goverment does DNA testings before allowing this... the tests came back that she was not their mother. Although, her boyfriend/husband was the father. The government thought they were trying to scam the government somehow, but they couldn't figure out any possible angle she could be trying to scam them.

Eventually they realised that the DNA in most of her body was totally different than the DNA of her ovaries. I think the show said something like 15 people in the world are known to have this? But really it could be a lot more, I mean how many people get DNA testing on various parts of their body?

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
How can that be possible? I smell a rat.
No it's true. They thought this woman was taking kids that her boyfriend had with her sister (because her genetics matched being the kids' aunt). But while the court case when through she became pregnant again. In order to solve the mystery they had a court officer there in the room when she gave birth and accomany a blood sample from the baby (seconds after birth) to the lab for testing. It proved that this baby had the same mother as the rest of her kids but didn't match the DNA in the Mother's blood sample. But since this woman was applying for welfare, she didn't have the money to get eggs harvested from her sister and then have invitro.

This was all in a show on Discovery Health I believe.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts