Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for input on good canned foods for a 15 year old HyperT kitty (15 yrs. Old)
Ms. Peaches lost a lot of weight...I'm looking to get some weight back on her....any suggestions??
I've tried Instinct Original Real Lamb, which she seems to love, and Whole Earth, real turkey recipe, (which she also approved of) also, Instinct, real beef recipe (not quite sure yet).

Two things of I'm aware of...
HyperT can mask, CKD...
Waiting on new blood tests...
So....could mean a whole new diet...
Hoping at this point, its only HyperT...
One crisis at a time
Her HyperT will be controlled by medicine, so at this point, not worried about iodine..
PLEASE...any suggestions?
Thank you!
Sharon

·
Premium Member
8,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Since putting Miss Peaches on some of the 'better' canned foods, she has gained a bit of weight! Her spine is getting a bit more padding, and her hip area, doesn't feel quite so bony...
She's grooming again, YEA!
Still looking for some input into good canned cat foods for her!
Thanks!
Sharon

·
Registered
180 Posts
Hi Sharon! I never had experience with HyperT so I am so sorry I cannot give you any advice but I just wanna send some well wishes and hugs for you and Ms. Peaches! Hopefully other members can give some insightful advice and hoping that Ms. Peaches will reach a healthy weight soon :)

·
Super Moderator
26,391 Posts
At this point, if you just want to put some weight on her quickly, would you consider foods like Fancy Feast? Really hard to resist.

Sending good wishes your way.

·
Super Moderator
18,409 Posts
In general pates usually have a higher calories per oz. than chunks and shreds. Off the top of my head I think Wellness is probably one of the highest.

·
Premium Member
8,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you, DoodleBug, Marie, and Christine, for all the well wishes, and suggestions!

I will add some Wellness cat, canned food, to my shopping list!
Luckily, Miss Peaches loves pates!

She is on Methimazole, 10mg, she gets half of that, twice a day. I have a pill cutter, just for her.

I crush the half tablet, with the back of a spoon, then mix it in about 2 teaspoons of canned cat food, which she gobbles down, then she gets more food.
So far, she is doing really well, no upset tummy, no diarrhea, etc.

I will be taking her in before long, for another blood test, to see where her thyroid levels are, than I'll know if I need to adjust the amount of the meds...
Thanks again!
Sharon

·
Premium Member
8,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did some more research, and added the Fancy Feast Classic line to the list of foods for Miss Peaches too!
The Classic line is considered high protein, low carbohydrate, and she likes it as well.
Thanks Marie for mentioning that brand!

·
Super Moderator
26,391 Posts
Yay! So happy for you both! :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts