Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day everyone :)

I use the word "remedies" in the title very loosely of course.

Our 10 year old male silver persian has an arythmia, and so the vet wants to do an echocardiogram to see if he indeed does have HC (Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy.)

He doesn't pant, so that is good...(I realize that doesn't mean that he doesn't have HC.)

We don't know much about HC but we do know our bank account and additional costs for an echo is something we do not desire. Is there anyone with info on using anything "natural" to help him, in case he does have HC?

Thanks in advance for any insight! :)

·
Premium Member
1,687 Posts
We just lost our British Shorthair Gracie this summer due to HCM. She was 13. We were told she might have up to a year to live, but the medications were so harsh that her kidneys got damaged. She only lived 2 1/2 months after her diagnosis. We had ultrasound done for her diagnosis, and time in an oxygen tent to bring her relief from congestive heart failure. We had an excellent cardiologist.

Without medication she would’ve died, with medication she would’ve died. If I had it to do over, I would have tested her in her first year - symptoms or not. I would have started her on alternative medicine for heart health in adulthood if needed. After diagnosis, I would’ve helped her with TCM or herbal support for her kidneys and liver. I also would have looked into an alternative to the prescribed blood thinner, because once she started on it, dosing everything else became hard. The medications she needed were hopelessly bitter, so choosing a compounding pharmacy with a sweetening flavor alternative is also good.

I’d be happy to share more of our experience - Gracie had a wonderful long life during her healthy times, and if her final health crisis can help another kitty, that‘s the silver lining.

Fran

·
Registered
6 Posts
I unexpectedly lost my 8.5 yr old polydactyl due to a saddle thrombus secondary to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy a few weeks ago. It was heart wrenching to see him have to go through it, and looking back, I wish I had done more in terms of being more vigilant about vet visits, so that I could have maybe identified it earlier.
I have not heard of natural remedies. My background is as a human RN, though, so when I researched feline hypertrophic cardiomyopathy after Dutch's death, I looked for the current best practice recommendations. They made sense, because they were similar to what one would use to treat a human who may have an arrhythmia, like afib, and therefore, be at higher risk of throwing a clot (not a saddle thrombus, since that doesn't happen in humans, but maybe a stroke). I am not a veterinarian, but from what I read, it seems that they are recommend a beta-blocker (e.g. propranolol) to help slow the disease progression by maintaining a lower resting heart rate and helping to prevent arrhythmias that could throw clots, and a blood thinner, specifically, low molecular weight heparin(?) was recommended as a possible long term prevention of clot formation. I think the veterinarian who euthanized Dutch mentioned that heparin could maybe be used, but Dutch was too ill at this point, and it was not always very successful depending on the stage of the disease.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts