Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I absolutely love cats but unfortunately have an allergic reaction to them. Is there any such thing as a hypoallergenic cat, just as how some dog breeds are hypo allergenic? I have heard that cat allergies are thought to be caused not by fur but by proteins in the saliva. Is this true?

Also, is there a way to tell from a litter of kittens which will grow into a friendly cat, and which will be aloof?

Thanks so much for your help.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Yes Yes Yes, I have one!

You are correct about the saliva. This breed of cats, Siberians, do not produce the protein in their saliva that causes an allergic reaction. I have HORRIBLE cat allergies and went to the breeders home and had no problems, and she had over 20 cats/kittens!

To answer your question about nice kittens, the Siberian breed are known to be gentle giants. They do not hide when new people come to the house they greet them, they crawl in your lap, are always in the room with you and are generally the breed that causes dog lovers to switch to cats! I can do pretty much anything with my cat and he is very laid back about it. He also gives kitty kisses every morning!

In picking out kittens it also helps to pick ones that come to you or stay in your arms. It's a good tell tail sign of how independent the cat is going to be.

If you want a hypo-allergenic, friendly, friendly cat, the Siberian is for you. Here's the website where I purchased mine: http://www.katymcfurr.com/

I think it's the best money I've ever spent! Good luck, feel free to ask more questions!

Thanks so much for your help.

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
Though I have no papers on Arianwen, I think she is a Siberian. Everything about her matches the description of that breed, from the slightly forward placement of her ears. to her sweet genius-kitty personality. Also, I have had a family member who is allergic to cats over, and she was skeptical, but Arianwen did not cause her allergy to act up. :p
I feel that I am a very lucky man to have adopted this special, precious kitty. :heart

Arianwen says hello, Jess.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you so much for the information! I will definitely be looking into Siberian kittens. I am so glad to hear there may be some hope yet! To be sure, you had considerable allergic reactions to other types of cats but have had none to your Siberian cat? I don't see pricing information on that website. Do you know how much they typically cost? Also, do you know how large they get? The larger the better. (I wanted a big cat ever since seeing Who's That Girl with Madonna where she has a tamed cougar, but I understand large cats have been known to turn on their owners. :()

·
Registered
76 Posts
Yes, I have severe allergic reactions to other breeds of cats. Inside and outside of houses, even barn cats. I also have allergies to pretty much any furry creature, like horses, dogs and pocket pets. I have had none with my Siberian! The kittens run $700 and they typically go pretty quickly. The older retired cats are cheaper by a couple hundred dollars. The male cats get to be 20-25 lbs and the females are usually a little smaller but not much. The breeder has been extremely helpful with any questions that I have and does a wonderful job of socializing her kittens, she's just the best! As I said, my cat is super friendly, loves to cuddle and is very smart! I take him on trips and to other peoples houses without any problems. Arianwen also seems to be a Siberian and they just have the most wonderful personalities, as you will read in the posts! So glad to help you out!

·
Registered
6 Posts
A siberian may be your best option, but keep in mind it may not be the cat itself, but something cat related causing your allergies. This blog http://newcats.blogspot.com/ is one I found about a guy, allergic to cats, becoming a cat dad. He used an air purifier, dander spray, and a couple of other things to help reduce allergins. His worst reaction that I've read wasn't actually to the cat, but to its litter.

Just something to keep in mind.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts