Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always loved cats, but never thought that getting one was an option for me due to my allergies (red and itchy eyes,sore throat,runny nose etc) but recently discovered that there are hypoallergenic breeds, and was wondering if anyone had had any experience with them- how significantly are your allergies reduced? which breeds are the most hypoallergenic? what extra steps do you take to reduce allergic reactions?
If anyone could answer these questions i would be very grateful, thankyou

·
Super Moderator
26,510 Posts
There are no truly hypoallergenic cats (it's not a fur issue, it's saliva), but this article makes the Cornish Rex a good breed to try.

·
Registered
5,300 Posts
I agree, our son-in-law has always had allergy to cats, and he's good for about 2 hrs. in our house with our 2 Devon Rex before he starts sneezing, etc. If I wipe the cats down with a wet towel or bathe them before he visits that's a big help and he's able to stay longer. I keep any upholstered furniture covered with sheets, and they come off when he visits, and that's also a help..

Reactions: luckycat

·
Registered
5 Posts
@ luckycat
Have to disagree with one reply below. There ARE hypoallergenic cats; there ARE NO non-allergenic cats. Hypoallergenic means they are less allergenic but still could trigger minor allergies in susceptible individuals, and are usually low dander, (Cat dander also causes allergies.) I have a Cornish Rex, which is hypoallergenic. When I had a friend visit who is known to be allergic to cats (he didn't know I had one) he was ready to walk out when he saw my C. rex. I convinced him to stay and after a few hours he had no signs of an allergy, even though the cat kept rubbing against him. He returned many times over the next few years and was induced to even pet the cat. Never had any allergic reaction.
I've heard there are other hypoallergenic breeds but don't know which they are.
6rtury

1 - 4 of 4 Posts