Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys, this is an emergency! I accidentally closed the door on my kitten's right front paw and now he doesn't eat nor drink. He has a high fever and doesn't have the ability to stand on his own, so I need carry him to his litter box to pee. Right now, he refuses to eat and drink for almost 25 hrs., and just sleeps for the whole day. BUT, the biggest problem is I cannot bring my cat to the vet because of quarantine lockdown. What should I do?

·
Registered
190 Posts
It would be best to call your vet and get advice over the phone. If you don't have one yet, and you can't get a local vet to call you back, there are a lot of online veterinary services. Maybe someone here on the forum can recommend one of them.

I hope your kitty will be okay.

·
Registered
5,273 Posts
Are there other vets in your area? My vet is also in "lock down" with exception of emergencies. Try to find one that will take your kitten as soon as possible---this is an emergency!. Kittens cannot go on without eating; he needs food, or he will fade away. Get some baby food (pure chicken without vegetables) and try and feed him, or some Fancy Feast Pate. .

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I tried to call the vet but they said that they cannot open the clinic because of the lockdown.
As of now, I've been feeding him tiny drops of milk ( I need to force feed him gently because he seems to be hungry but his body just rejects the food). And also I think he's struggling in swallowing the food so I stayed in feeding him w/ liquids.
I really don't know what to do, I'm in state of panic rn. Also as time goes by, my kitten's tummy suddenly gets big even though he doesn't eat much.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I understand that they can't open their clinic, but I'd expect them to find a vet who could call you and give you a little advice. Does your kitten seem to have a fever? If he won't take milk, see if you can get a little Pedialyte down, maybe with a syringe. If you don't have any, here's a site with a recipe for making your own: Electrolyte Solution Recipe

·
Registered
190 Posts
So glad to hear he's better. It's still important to get him to take some real food (or kitten milk replacer, depending on how old he is).

Really young kittens can't regulate their blood sugar on their own and can crash quickly if they don't eat. Honey or karo syrup can bring them back in a few minutes, but the improvement won't last if they don't get some real nutrients after that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts