Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Minnie has always been a strange cat. She is unfreindly to people and animals. She doesnt like to be petted very much. She is very loving in her own way.. She loves all of us very much, as long as we arent messing with her. She is actually my most affectinate cat..in her own weird way.

However like I said she is unfreindly, she always has been. Something happened to her when Jessy got fixed. Jessy is her kitten for those who dont know. When Jessy got back after he three day stay at the vet, Minnie did not like her anymore. This was in April.

Minnie still doesnt like Jessy, she hisses at her anytime she is around. She also quite liking Lilly shortly after this time and also hisses at her. Minnie still is ok with Jerry, although she never lays and cuddles with him anymore.
she becomes very angry anytime the other cats are around her.

Then we got Simon. All the other cats are begining to accept Simon as it has been a little over a week now since he has been here. Minnie of course hates Simon. I figure she always will..since she also hates Lilly and Jessy her own kitten. Up until today she treats Simon just like the others, she hisses and becomes noticably angry when Simon is around.

Well today I was outside playing with the children. I came in for a drink and Simon came into the kitchen, He meowed at me with is really loud Siamese demanding of my attention meow. It actually startled me it was so loud. I laughed at him and turned to ask him why he was coming in there to scare me. Well his lip and side of his face were bleeding! I was verry upset, and scooped him up. I took him into the bathroom to inspect his wounds and see how serious they were.

They are quite obviously scratch marks.. not very deep or wide at all. However deep enough to bleed.

Well I wasnt in here, bit Simon did not do that to himself. I am quite sure Minnie did it. I would say I am positive Minnie did it.

So now I dont know what to do! I love all of them, getting rid of them isnt an option! However I do not need Minnie attacking the other cats! Do you think she only did this because Simon is the new cat on the block..and in time she will learn to tolerate him.

Or is she just a big meanie and will eventually attack Lilly or Jessy if they cross her the wrong way???? Does anyone have experience with this sort of thing?

·
Registered
722 Posts
I'm sorry I have no idea :cry: Have you tried feliway and flower essences? Ive never heard of a cat suddenly not liking its child after it went away for fixing, maybe she had severe seperation anxiety? Play therapy might work?

·
Registered
135 Posts
As a first step I think I would try to clip Minnie's nails

:roll: I don't know much, and don't have much experience with multiple cats so I am just guessing that she could do less damage with her nails clipped… maybe she needs some more time to adjust to him?

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Well, sounds like you have your hands full :lol: Ihave been dealing with multiple cat households since I was 7, and my cat Prince sounds a bit like your Minnie. Unfortunately, he never could adjust, and now he lives with my mom and 2 sisters, and is spoiled rotten.. There is alot you can try though. Hopefully, if you can get her through this adjustment period (and with her it might be a pretty long adjustment period) she will learn to at least tolerate the other animals. To keep her from wreaking havoc during that period is easier said than done, but my first suggestion would be to get her some Soft Paws nail caps. They are plastic claw covers that are glued on (it sounds worse than it is) and prevent a cat from scratching people or animals, and also from ripping up carpets, etc. They eventally wear off, and come in a variety of colors ( I have purple) Anyway, I have found them to be a godsend, and 2 of my guys wear them. You can buy them online, I usually just do a Yahoo search on "soft paws" or "soft claws" and look for the best deal. I have also found them on ebay. I worked for a vet for a few years, and introduced many clients to these, as an alternative for declawing. She probably won't like them at first :wink: but I have yet to meet a cat that didn't seem to almost forget they were there. Anyway, just a suggestion, and good luck!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts