Cat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, Dylan loves the lil small furry mice that I buy him and we often play fetch together... Although the last two days or so he has been doing something very strange with them.

He'll find one and bring it over to me as he usually does for me to throw for him. After he goes and fetches it he walks straight over to his water bowl and drops it in there!

The first couple of times i took the mouse back out and tried again, but back in the water bowl it went, so I tried leaving it.

He sat there... and looked at it! The tried fishing it out with his paw, realised wit was wet and took it right back out and shook it. Eventually I think he managed to get it out with his mouth.

Why on earth would he be doing this?! I am baffled!

I think I may just have a demented cat lol
Hayley x x

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Someone once told me about their cat who would drop his toys in his food dishes, water dishes, litter box, and bed. His vet told him that the cat considered the toy his friend so he was helping the toy do everything a cat would do.

Maybe Dylan just thinks the mouse is thirsty?

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
I think I read someone in one of my threads about Addison that someone said their cat dropped those mice in the water bowls. I'll see if i can find it.

If he is indeed trying to give his mouse a drink....that is the cutest thing ever!

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
It totally makes sense that the cat would bring the mouse to the food bowl or the water bowl etc. :D

Sam and Suzy does that too... haven't found it in the litter box yet though. But I think they hide it for later or something like that and usually cats cover their food after they're done eating so that no one else can find it so it could make sense.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
At the shelter, I fish a lot of cat toys out of water bowls, food bowls, and litterboxes. I've noticed it most with cats in solo cages, and hardly at all in the multi-cat condos. I have one sweet little one-eyed fella that always had all of his toys in strange places when he was in solitary, but doesn't seem to do it now that he's back in the general population. I always just figured that he was amusing himself somehow.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
It's seems odd that he did it while you were playing fetch. Thomas plays fetch also, but he always brings the mouse to me. However, when we are not playing fetch, he'll put his mice all over the house. I've found them in the water dish, in the litterbox, in my bed, in any available bag (preferably plastic), and his most favorite place....in the garbage disposal. Let me tell you, I've skinned a few of those mice by running the disposal. Very disgusting, all the fur comes off in a wad and there's just the hard plasic body. Yick.

Either way, I know he does it to entertain himself because I've watched him do it....he carries them around looking about...like, "where can I put this now". He'll put it in a bag then spend an hour trying to get it out..or something, I'm not sure what the purpose of all that pouncing is.

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
How cute! I guess I shouldn't be so frustrated with finding twistie ties in Sugar and Twinkie's water bowl :lol:

·
Registered
138 Posts
Well, I have a nasty ole dirty mouse and a nasty ole black fuzz ball thingy that permanently live in my cats' food dish, compliments of Callie. I give them a good toss whenever I refill, but they are back in a matter of hours. Personally, If I were Bailey, (my other cat) I'd be having a long hard talk with Callie, because it's got to be a pain in the rear to have to dig through his "little buddies" to get to the food every time. :roll:

sprat

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
I especially like when Thomas puts a red mouse in his freshflow fountain. I usually don't find it until hours later, when the dye from the mouse has turned all the fountain water a beautiful pink. :wink: As always...Thank you Thomas!

·
Registered
611 Posts
Wow I'm glad my cats don't do that. The only time a toy has gone into a strange place (not including under the stove/fridge) is when they are in show off mode. That's the mode where they pick up a toy that they play with all the time and then make the high pitched meow to show off their new catch as if they didn't catch it 400 times a day. Then they will walk around with it showing off and drop it in random places. So the only weird location was in my shoe.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
This weekend we stayed with my mom with the cats (decorating at home, don't want pawprints all over) and we put out two bowls of water around her apartment. Had to fish up a soaking wet mouse from both of them!

Here at home they only leave the mouse in their food bowl, but at mom's it was the water bowls. :D

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Dylan has only left a mouse in food bowl once or twice... We got him a water fountain and he does it with that too! daft thing lol

·
Registered
282 Posts
One of my cats has recently discovered the joys of dropping her mice in the water dish. She will even do it while playing fetch. And it takes mere seconds to dye the water whatever bright color the mouse is. Cats! :lol:

·
Registered
697 Posts
Cleveland will drop his mice in his bowls but he has a little toy kitten he adores and he'll carry it by the scruff to his bowls and plop it in while he eats. It's the cutest thing. When he was recovering from his op I bought him kitty milk and he carried the toy (with as e-collar on) put it by the milk and licked its head til it soaked all the milk up!!

·
Registered
465 Posts
One of my kittens favorite toys is the caps off of spring water bottles and I'm pulling them out of the water bowl all the time....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts