Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, My name is Mark and in looking for any help you could provide for my loving cat Mowa. Mowa is a rescue roughly 8-10 yrs old. She has been with me for 7 yrs. Since Mowa found me she has always had a wheezing issue but seemed to breath ok. This issue fully depends on her head position, When shes looking straight forward she tends to make a snore like sound but with her head turned side to side or her chin lifted the snoring sound would go away. Recently her breathing has become much worse especially during the winter months, so i took her into the Vet. After several tests like a laryngeal scope, a CT (Which found no obstructions) the vet seemed to think she had some form of laryngeal paralysis. I know this is rare in cats and after another Vet did a laryngeal scope they agreed her laryngeal flaps or folds were not moving like they should. I agreed to have a procedure done called a Laryngeal Tie Back done and Mowa is now a few days into recovery but her breathing issue has remained. It seems to get worse right after eating and she is on 5 m,g Prednisolone for about 5 weeks now with very little relief. Its almost like her nasal passage is clogged or kind of like the sound a person would make when clearing out our sinus drainage. Its very similar to snoring loud or having sleep apnea but at times she gets very little air trying to breathe normally. This has been very stressful on us both and whats been even more difficult is when i would take her in for her exams her airway would almost open up completely, I thought this was due to her being scared and having an adrenalin rush causing her airway to stay open. I now think she may have an allergy but the Dr. seemed to think the Prednisolone would have taken care of that if that were the case. My poor Mowa has been through soo much and I feel guilty for having a surgery that did nothing but make her more miserable. Her breathing is so restricted she sleeps with her chin flat on the floor or her mouth extended outward, she cannot curl up or keep her chin tucked in without her air being cut off. This has been so sad for us both and im desperate to get her help. Could this be an allergy thats causing a swelling of her nasal tissue or the opening in her throat? I havr tried Benydryl, shes still on a daily dose of Prednisolone 5 mg. but nothing seems to help. If anyone of you has any advice I would love to hear from you, Im at a loss here and im working every day to keep her comfortable and i surely would like her to live out her full life. All her tests came back great even her bloodwork was perfect. Im not gonna give up on her and any help or advice you guys could give would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for reading my post and Mowa appreciates you also!

·
Premium Member
8,733 Posts
My condolences to you and Mowa, poor girl, and you! Have you tried a humidifier?
I have a kitty with breathing problems, and a humidifier really seems to help...
These furkids, can really drive us nuts, trying to figure out what is wrong! You've been doing all the right things, trying to find out what is wrong with Mowa, try something simple...humiderfier...

·
Registered
195 Posts
Hi Mark,
I am so sorry to read about Mowa and her breathing problem. Honestly, I can't imagine much worse than not being able to breathe.

I've no experience with this condition, but since you say that it's worse in the winter, why don't you ask your vet if a humidifier would give her some relief. The cool-mist type would probably be best, but if you don't have one, you could put her in the kitchen and boil some water a while to raise the humidity--or the bathroom and run the shower. Just be careful she doesn't get into anything that could burn her.

This is just a guess, based on surgeries I've had . . . seems like there's always some swelling afterward, so that could be contributing to her distress. Did the vet give you any instructions or tell you what to expect after the surgery? If not, this page may help: http://tcvs-mn.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Lar-Par.pdf Again, I suggest running anything you're considering past your vet first, just to be sure you don't make things worse.

Sending a very gentle hug for Mowa. I'll be thinking of you both.

Carol

·
Premium Member
8,733 Posts
One more thing I thought of, since you say it seems to be worse in the winter time...
Do you use air fresheners?
These are actually bad for pets!
Not so great for us either!
I quit using them...
Check your cleaning supplies as well, some are highly toxic...
Sometimes, you just have to be a detective!
Best wishes!

·
Registered
Mimi, Nathaniel
15 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear about your kitty's breathing issues. I'm glad you're not giving up on her. 10cats2dogs above mentioned air fresheners and cleaning supplies. It's so true, they are very toxic for cats! Also, essential oils are also bad for cats. I hope she will get better.
Also, a few days ago I saw a cat on youtube who got a nose surgery to give him bigger nostrils because he had breathing issues. However, if the CT says there are no obstructions, Mowa probably won't need one.
I hope you'll find out the underlying issue! Keep us updated.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts