Cat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spent over $200 on Revolution for my cat/dogs. I applied as directed and tonight after them being on Revolution for over a month I find 5 fleas on Riot and 3 on my one dog.

My friends cat is on Hartz drops (I know they are bad but he didnt care) and go figure not a flea on her...

What should I do? I cannot afford to get my house professionally cleaned and thats kinda why I forked out for Revolution...

·
Super Moderator
26,810 Posts
Are you also treating your house and belongings? I know when my cats got fleas, I had to spray the house, and wash EVERYTHING in it that could go into a washer and dryer - clothes, bedding, etc. With your dogs going inside and outside, they're bound to bring in some new ones.

It took a few months to get rid of all of them in my house. And my girls are all indoor cats. :?

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
Agreed. I think you're going to have to keep up the flea treatment and once a week wash *everything* washable and vacuum really really well. I could be wrong but while revolution kills fleas that bite the eggs that were laid in the house/bedding are still going to be there and hatch.... so you'll have to keep after it until they are all gone....

When we had dogs it was a constant battle with fleas. Now that it's just one inside only cat it's heaven.

·
Registered
978 Posts
We had a horrible problem with fleas before we moved.

Your best bet is to continue with revolution and use capstar as well as doing what the others recommended.

It can literally take months kill all those little pests.

We finally got rid of them and didn't have them again and thankfully didn't when we moved.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
It can take up to 3 months to completely break the flea lifecycle. You really NEED to treat your house, wash everything, vacuum thoroughly and treat the house. Revolution is a flea adulticide (kills fully mature adult fleas) and an IGR (Insect growth regulator) that prevents flea eggs from hatching out. The problem is, that is only two of the 6 life stages of a flea. (the first and the last) Once you know you have fleas, there are probably already hundred in your house at various life stages. Those will continue to grow until they reach adult hood and bite your pet, then they will die. This is why it can take up to 3 months of regular treatment with a topical to break the cycle. Treating your house will speed things up.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My cat is indoors. I did treat the house each time I found fleas and did it again today. I dont have carpet. Just small area rugs I sprayed with the premis spray that kills adult fleas and prevent eggs from hatching. I also sprayed the underside of my furnature and around the base of them as well. I then vaccuumed after letting it sit for 10 minutes (my dogs allergic to these sprays) and later I will empty the vaccuum canister and put it outside.

The yards already been treated....im finding the majority on Riot. Found another one on him today. I hate fleas..

I dont think im infested because im allergic to flea bites and have had only 1 or 2 so far over the period of a couple weeks.

I wonder if my friend is bringing them over on his clothes. His brothers dog isnt on flea stuff, lives outside, eats crappy food, live on a farm where theres lots of bush. They say shes flea free but I seriously doubt she is. Maybe thats where they are coming from. Ive NEVER had a flea problem until I started hanging around him 2 years ago. Then I saw the odd flea. I dont mind him coming here as we do lots of stuff together but I want to try to control the fleas.

I washed anything that could fit into the washer several times...in fact my water bill was almost double that month...

·
Registered
112 Posts
I use sentinel on my dogs because it has flea birth control, and I use advantage II on the cats because it kills adults, larvae and eggs. I just don't think killing eggs and adults is enough, and no matter what it is you need to keep giving it during flea season, once is not enough they all say good for up to 30 days.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I dont like Sentinal because the adult fleas will still live. I need to have as little flea bites on my dog as possible (thus needing something to kill them) because hes allergic to fleas. I do use it monthly. I just was under the impression if I used it monthly I wouldnt have any fleas issues which I have now..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts