Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jan. 19th, 2005

My mom said that I could get a fish but I had the choice of an Betta fish or Angel fish. So, I looked at some Angel fish pictures and decided I wanted and Angel fish. With proper care Angel fishes can live 10-12 years. I am sooooo excited. This time I am gonna get things set up. I promise once I get my Angel fish and she is in the tank I will post pictures. I am getting a Spongebob Square Pants tank that comes with a filter and stuff. It is going to be sooo cool. Your friend, excited catlover_2004.

·
Registered
505 Posts
angel fish are VERY fragile. i would recomend doing a LOT of research and getting the tank set up and monitor all the specs (ammonia, nitrates, nitrites, salinity, PH, etc.) for at least a month to let the tank settle out so there arent any drastic changes. they need the water to be heated, too, i'm sure. i've never owned angel fish, however, but i've heard from others that they are extremely fragile.

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, the tank came with a thermametor so petco has a care sheet with the tank temp so I will do that. I am looking for an angel fish forum. I am getting an angel fish though.

·
Registered
505 Posts
http://www.awforum.net/angelfish/

they like soft water that is slightly acidic (PH of 6.5-6.9) and like live food. it said that for a pair, a 15 gallon tank was a minimum (you might really consider getting a pair, one might get lonely) but 29 gallons are better if you want to breed them. for 1, 10 gallons would be sufficient, i'm sure. they need filtered, heated, oxygenated water with live plants.

unless you've cared for tropical fish before, i'd really consiter getting a betta instead. you can find some really beautiful ones and they are MUCH easier to care for. stick 'em in a bowl of room temp water, feed them once a day, clean their bowl once a week, a live plant or two, they're happy.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
They are very pretty fish, but they need to be kept in groups.....so you need to get more than one. They need alot of room...how many gallons is the tank you are getting?? I used to have angel fish, and they were in a 40 gallon high tank, and I think that was about the smallest size they would have tolerated....remember that that small little angelfish you buy will grow, and grow quickly. 8O

·
Registered
505 Posts
again, i strongly recomend the betta. i have mine in about a 1 gallon bowl. i do a full water change once a week, feed once a day (skipping one day a week to let their system clear out) with a couple live plants and a lid on the bowl (to keep the cat out and the water from evaporating) and he's perfectly happy.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
I'm not going to tell you what to get because I do not know anything about caring for angelfish (but I do love to look at them!)

Here is a fish forum that has a section about Cichlids. In addition, it has an beginner's area on setting up a tank the right way.

Bettas are fairly easy to care for, and if you have a tank... that's even better! There are different varieties to choose from if you are willing to look around.

Good luck with whatever you decide, and keep us posted! I would love to see pictures of your Sponge Bob tank!

oh - and we use RO water for our fish tanks. It really makes a difference.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I have never had any luck with angelfish, and I have been keeping fish for about 10 years. They are just too sensitive for my liking, though they are pretty fish. Good luck with yours!

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I like bettas but I want to get an Angel fish. I had a betta and she lasted a couple months. Angel fish can live 10-12 years with proper care. I am gonna get a female and her name will be Angel. Thanks everyone for the tips though. My mom said one fish at a time so i can't get two. Mismodliz I am gonna check out that forum. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have to look at more pictures of Angel fish to decide color. I haven't picked Angel out yet. I have to get the tank first and the tank has to sit for 48 hours.

·
Super Moderator
8,186 Posts
Congratulations Catlover_2004! I'm sure you'll do the proper research and take good care of Angel. You said you were getting an angle fish so I really don't know why everyone is telling you to get a betta! haha! Do what you want (and what your mom will let you do!). I'm sure you'll do well with an angle fish! :D

·
Registered
505 Posts
mainly i'm telling her not to get an angel fish because:

1: you need 2 or more or they get lonely

2: you need a 20 gallon aquarium or larger. a tiny spongebob tank is NOT good enough. would be perfect for a betta, but not an angel

3: they are extremely fragile and many expirienced freshwater fish owners cannot get them to thrive, let alone an innecpirienced child with a tiny, inequipped tank.

i'm sorry if that sounds harsh, but if your not prepared to provide an animal it's basic needs for survival, you really shouldn't own it, just because "it's pretty"

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
If your mom is only allowing you to get 1 fish, than you should not be getting an Angelfish. :? They are very social, and need to be kept at LEAST in groups of 2......otherwise they will be lonely and become depressed.....if YOU were a social person, think of how you would feel forced to live in isolation. :( Also, that Spongebob tank is just simply not even close to big enough for an Angelfish......sorry to sound harsh, but I know you want the best for your pets, and it doesn't sound like at this point, you are equipped to provide a good home for an Angelfish. :?

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You guys just made me realize something. I am gonna get a BIG tank. Don't worry I am ready for a fish. I am going to get Angel sometime next month because I am going to get EVERYTHING set up. I am going to make sure I have the right size tank, the right food. I will make sure she will be in a good enviorment. I am going on www.petsmart.com or www.petco.com to look for a bigger tank. I am not sure about the spongebob tank. I will let you know what tank I find and if it is big enough. Thanks for helping,

·
Registered
821 Posts
Good for you for researching it more. You should also really keep in mind that you have to get more than 1 angelfish....you will need at least 2. They will need a heated tank. They are VERY fragile fish, they get diseases easily and don't like changes in their environment.

It doesn't seem like people can stress enough how careful you have to be with angelfish, and I agree with them. You can't just put a fish in a tank and expect it to be happy and live a long life.....in some ways fish are harder to take care of than cats! I still think you should consider a betta.....even though you want an angel. Betta's are just hardier fish and much easier to take care of. Plus, they love living alone.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I gotta say, I love having bettas because they are treated SO horribly and inhumanely in almost all pet stores. I LOVE bringing one home, because I know with me, it will have a large space, good food, etc, etc.....to me, it is like adopting an animal from death row at the pound! :lol: (you guys know me....always gotta be rescuing something) :roll:

Cat_Lover- I'm glad to hear you are doing more research...that's great!! :D

·
Registered
505 Posts
i would like to say that Petco and Petsmart KNOW NOTHING ABOUT ANIMALS!!!! i routeinly go in there and am very dissapointed by the conditions of many of their animals. i would NOT recomend relying on them to tell you how to care for your fish. go to specialty angel fish websites and talk to people on an angel fish forum to get better info. however, i am glad your going with a bigger tank. i would recomend getting two fish though so they don't get lonely.

i also was at petco today and i found the spongebob tank. it's only 1.5 gallons. that would be perfect for a betta, but MUCH, MUCH too small for an angel, even one small angel, because while they start out about an inch long, they get bigger, up to 6" long. for two angels, a 20 gallon high tank would be a minimum.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Celeste_Eden said:
i would like to say that Petco and Petsmart KNOW NOTHING ABOUT ANIMALS!!!! i routeinly go in there and am very dissapointed by the conditions of many of their animals. i would NOT recomend relying on them to tell you how to care for your fish. go to specialty angel fish websites and talk to people on an angel fish forum to get better info. however, i am glad your going with a bigger tank. i would recomend getting two fish though so they don't get lonely.

This is very good advice. Petsmart actually tried to tell me I could keep 5 goldfish in a 10 gallon tank! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I just looked at them an laughed.

And Petco is just as bad....THEY tried to tell me that my guppies didn't really need a heater. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
505 Posts
i know that petcos hermit crab care sheet is suprisingly right on, but if you actually ask the employees, they know nothing, and they don't follow the care sheet in their own tanks. i regularly tell them that their humidity is low, etc. and it never improves. however, i finally got Petsmart to fix their tank and it's MUCH better than it was. i actually saw one hermit crab MOVING rather than huddled in a corner completely unresponsive.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts