Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He chewed an extension cable for internet access so that the internet connection is spotty. I don't want to rehome him, but I can see where my ex-husband is coming from (and please, I don't want this to be about my es-husband so kindly keep your comments to yourself). There is a no-kill shelter that we could take him to, but I would much rather have him go to a home. Is there anyone one here in the Southern California area who could take my boy? He's seven years old and the biggest lap cat.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Why not just get a plastic encasing for the new set of wires and spray it with bitter apple which can be found in pet stores?

·
Registered
560 Posts
Have you had him for 7 years? Why now do you want to get rid of him, is it because he chewed on the wires? Please do not rehome unless it is absolutely necessary, especailly sine your kitty is 7 years old. I would especially not give it to a shelter because she is an older cat, it will take much longer for her to get adopted. There are always other solutions, just ask us and we can help :)

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've had Star since he was a kitten. I watched him being born. And it's not that I want to get rid of him. I'm not in a position where I can ask for certain things, and, unfortunately Star's chewing on chords and cables is not negotiable. I've tried already. I already feel bad enough because Star is my heart kitty and having to give him up is tearing me apart. So please, I don't want or need any "don't rehome unless absolutely necessary" responses. If it wasn't necessary, I wouldn't have made this post in the first place.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Believe me, I've already tried suggesting that.
Suggesting it and doing it are two different things.
I know, but when you have someone who thinks the cat is the one that needs to change his behavior and that spending extra money to fix a problem that is the cat's fault, then what do you do? Remember, I'm in a unique situation. I'm not going to go into it here (but PM me and I can explain it again). I just want the best for my baby.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I am not judging, but isn't he going to chew on cords wherever he goes? Was this a first time offense? It's hard to wrap my head around rehoming him for that.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I am not judging, but isn't he going to chew on cords wherever he goes? Was this a first time offense? It's hard to wrap my head around rehoming him for that.
No, Star chewed through 10 pairs of headphones that belonged to my ex. And now, with this cable being chewed...well, I know it's going to be the straw that broke the camel's back. And yes, he probably will chew through cords and cables wherever he goes, but at least he'll have an owner that will make sure that the cords are out of the way and not blame him.

·
Registered
560 Posts
your ex im sorry is an A**. Cant you just leave with your kitty and live with a friend or family member until you can find a place?
Sorry - this is probably not my place to say anything but I am pissed at your ex and I dont even know him, lol.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Im sorry that your ex is putting you threw this...

A Co Worker of mine had a wire chewer too. She ended up putting those hard plastic things around every wire in the house and then anything with wires would be put away so the cat couldnt get at it. It's been working out for her, I wish you ex would atleast try.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
your ex im sorry is an A**. Cant you just leave with your kitty and live with a friend or family member until you can find a place?
Sorry - this is probably not my place to say anything but I am pissed at your ex and I dont even know him, lol.
...(and please, I don't want this to be about my ex-husband so kindly keep your comments to yourself).
If I could go live with someone who wouldn't mind me and my cat living with them, I would. The problem is, I've been unemployed for almost four years, and it's not for lack of looking for a job, because I have. So, I'm stuck.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm sorry, I don't know you but, can you not keep the cords out of the cat's way? You live there too.
That's what I have been doing. But there are some cords that cannot be kept out of the way, and they're too long to be put up. He had some kind of cord protector thing that was flexible, but durable enough to withstand cat teeth, but he doesn't want to spend the money to get more of it. He thinks that Star needs to change his behavior and that he himself doesn't need to do a thing.

·
Registered
560 Posts
One of my aunts lives in CA (not sure where though, could be far away from you) and she owns 2 cats. I think one of the cats is 12yrs the other 15yrs-16yrs. I'll give her a call after work today, maybe she would take your kitty. But I am not sure if she allowed anymore at her apartment or not.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Crittercord on Amazon.com is cheap as far as price goes. Try wrapping them up with aluminium foil and double tape as well. It should not affect the internet connection because the signal is through the box. Another option is switching to a Wireless box which uses less wires. Your cat can be bored too. Get him a new toy or two. From my point of view, it sounds like your ex was looking for a reason to get rid of the cat. But I'll leave it at that.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts