Cat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sister came to visit with her Boston Terrier again this weekend (they were here at the beginning of our move for 4-5 days and we haven't had a visit since late September, at which point both cats were terrified, even when the dog was crated they wouldn't come upstairs). She got here on Friday night and by Sunday afternoon both cats were coming right up into the kitchen!

Wicket came out whenever he wanted to and just stood his ground if the puppy tried to get too close (they came within about 8 inches of eachother without incident). The kitten was more comfortable if the puppy was in his barrier (my sister has a portable one she brings with him that he stays contained in at night) but came within about 8 inches of the gate! Both of them tended to stay out of the way upstairs or down if the puppy was running around the house but I was really impressed with them overall, we let them take the introductions as far as they wanted to and provided them with complete security when we were gone or overnight (cats locked in the basement, dog crated).

They're by no means ready to be out hanging out right next to eachother but I think we'll get there!

The only bad behavior came from the puppy himself, who managed to sneak away upstairs on his own just long enough to POOP ON MY PILLOW. First he found a pair of my sister's underwear from her suitcase and deposited it right next to his poop spot just to make his point. I think he was marking his territory but I'm curious as to why he didn't just pee......I laughed until I cried and my sister was mortified! :D

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
That is great that the cats were feeling more comfy with the puppy at the end of your sister and dog's visit. It's so cute when they meet face to face sometimes. I video taped Oreo meeting her brother Lucky, a small Yorkie for the first time 3 years ago and she turned into a porcupine, hair standing up and her walking on her hind tippy paws backwards as this little dog scared the daylights out of her. Oreo still fluffs up whenever he comes to visit and we always have a great laugh because she is usually the bully with my other cat, Little Pumpkin....But when the little dog comes over, she turns into a scaredy cat. So, good for your kitties, nice and brave!! They deserve some treats now!

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
I'm glad to hear things went so well! My son just adopted a puppy, Willis, and I'm interested in seeing how my girls react the first time my son visits with Willis (he will bring a crate). My vet has a dog that wanders around his office, and both Muffs and Abby are fine with the vet's dog...so, I'm hoping they'll be ok with Willis too. Mind you, they might feel differently because Willis will be in their territory, which is not the case with the vet's dog. We shall see!

·
Registered
709 Posts
Ohh, we're thinking of getting a Boston Terrier in the future. He sounds like a right little character. Evie likes to poop on the bed when she disagrees with us!

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have Boston Terrorists too. My boys love my cat and vice versa. They were raised by my 17yr old Siamese so are very good with cats. When I brought a new kitten home a year ago, also a Siamese, the boys were more than willing to befriend him. Ricky kitten of course had a little warming up to do. Now they are best of friends.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts