Cat Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2.5 to 3 month old kitten which we found abandoned in the rain last week.

He eats and poos well. But I have been researching which kitten foods are best. But we don't get the ones mentioned in the U.S or in the U.K.

So can you tell me what I am looking for in wet and dry foods.

Is chicken better than fish?

What percentages of ingredients should I look for.

Any input would be good.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Fish is okay but not for every meal. Chicken is better. Look for grain-free food with actual meat in it, not by-products. Stay away from anything that just says "meat." The first few ingredients are what is primarily in it, and they should be meats. Broths are okay though. Kittens need lots of protein since they're growing, so look for something with a lot of protein in it. I'm not sure the exact percentages, though. Wet food is better than dry food. Raw is a great way to feed your cat too, but research it first. Hope this helps some.

·
Registered
88 Posts
One way to check the quality of food is to add up everything stated in guaranteed analysis (percentages of protein, fat, ash, fiber and moisture) and if the number you get is 97 or higher, the food is good (as in, doesn't contain much or any plant matter). You don't want a lot of carbs in your cat's food, and since the percentage of carbs is rarely stated on the label, this is how you figure out how many carbs there are in the food.

Ideally, the first few ingredients should be of animal origin. As for dry foods, if the first ingredient listed is meat and then the next few ingredients come from plants, the food is not good - the first ingredient is always the one that weighs the most, but they count the water weight in meat, so during processing this water evaporates essentially pushing meat way down the ingredient list. So you want animal products to be on the 2nd, 3rd (and ideally all) places. Cats don't need to eat plants, so all-animal based food is the best for them.

Canned food is better for cats than dry, because it generally contains more animal products than dry (which generally contains much more plant matter) and also because cats are not natural drinkers and eating dry food will dehydrate them (and lead to urinary problems that are so common in cats). For more info on that, check this study.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow!! Thank you so much for that easy to understand info.

I went shopping today. Trying to find anything other than fish here is nearly impossible! But I managed to get something with chicken but had fish in it too I also found science diet wet food for kittens is that any good?

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
When you look at the ingredients of Science Diet (this is just the first few lines): Water, Turkey, Egg Product, Turkey Giblets, Liver, Fish Meal, Salmon, Pork By-Products, Corn Gluten Meal, Corn Starch, Chicken Liver Flavor, Ground Whole Grain Corn

Compared to a few other foods (in no particular order):

California Naturals (This is the ENTIRE ingredient list): Chicken, Chicken Broth, Egg ,Brown Rice, Herring, Natural Flavors, Flaxseed, Carrageenan, Guar Gum, Minerals, Sodium Phosphate, Vitamins, Potassium Chloride, Sunflower Oil, Choline Chloride, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate, Taurine

Wellness Kitten formula (this is just the first few lines of the ingredient list): Chicken, Chicken Liver, Chicken Broth, Sweet Potatoes, Carrots, Salt, Guar Gum, Cranberries, Blueberries, Squash, Zucchini, Flaxseed

The other two have no by products or meals. :p I wouldn't eat that garbage so I sure wouldn't want MowMow chowing down on it.

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
"Fish meal, or fishmeal, is a commercial product made from both whole fish and the bones and offal from processed fish. It is a brown powder or cake obtained by rendering pressing the cooked whole fish or fish trimmings to remove most of the fish oil and water, and then ground. What remains is the "fishmeal"."

It's processed all to heck.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Some websites have coupon discount codes. I would try to find them and then order. That's if there is no other way to get the good quality food.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you all. I have looked online and can find some of the good brands here in Japan but they only have the dry type or if it is wet food it is for adult cats!

Continuing my search.......

1 - 13 of 13 Posts