Cat Forum banner

I can't keep my cat off counters/tables

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  lunamystique 
#1 ·
Hello everyone. This is my first post here I need a little help. I've had my cat for about 2 years now and I'm trying to train her to stay off counters and tables, however I'm having no luck with this at all. I've tried spraying her with a water bottle or just telling her no, but none of that works. Is there anything anyone can recommend here. Thank you in advance for your replies.

#5 ·
My cats LOVE aluminum foil too, I think because of the crinkling sound. Maybe mine are just as weird as I always thought they were!

The water spraying thing has never worked for my cats. I think they like it. Telling cats "no" alone rarely works but if you follow it w/ a reward if they obey, like overzealous praise or a little snack, they are more likely to listen the next time around.

I think you'll probably have to booby trap the countertops w/ something your cat finds unpleasant and will not associate with you. The double sided sticky tape is probably most recommended. You could get creative w/ other booby tracks. Like pop a balloon in the cat's presence, then tape a number of balloons up on the counters. I've also heard that spraying white vinegar on the counters can help deter some cats. Also, stacking a bunch of cans w/ some food hanging off a string from the top one might work. Some pet stores sell some liquid conconctions that are supposed to deter cats. I think they might have pepper in them or something. Not sure the names of the products or if they work.

I just finally gave up and let my cats wherever they want to go. Or more truthfully they are just letting me go where I want!

Good luck!

#6 ·
"hot-training"

My mom used a trick that worked - and I found it helpful with Stephen, who is obsessed with bags. She likes to dump small trash cans just to play/lick/make-noise-with the trash bags.

With our dog at home (who liked the trash, not the sacks), we did "tabasco-training". Put a small dab of tabasco (and i mean small) on your finger next time you catch your pet messing with the trash can and touch your finger to their tongue. The reaction of the pet will obviously be unpleasant. Then take a cloth with a little tobasco on it and rub it on the underside of the trash can or around the rim. Next time your pet goes near it, she will remember the bad taste.

I don't know where my mom got the idea, but it works. We even told our vet at home about it - and he said it was a good idea and wouldn't hurt the animal, as long as people didn't abuse the trick. (i.e. -- pouring tabasco down pets' throats).

#7 ·
lunamystique

love your quote! my live-in boyfriend loves my cat just as much as me, but he like to tease me about her. at a casual work picnic one night, we were talking about pets, and when I mentioned Stephen, my boyfriend said, "What cat?" And then proceeded to ask me if I "saw" cats in the house at my bosses house, too!

#8 ·
mismodliz said:
love your quote! my live-in boyfriend loves my cat just as much as me, but he like to tease me about her. at a casual work picnic one night, we were talking about pets, and when I mentioned Stephen, my boyfriend said, "What cat?" And then proceeded to ask me if I "saw" cats in the house at my bosses house, too!
That is really funny! It's always great to be with someone who can make you laugh, even if at yourself sometimes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.