Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Yay me! First time ever trying this myself, but I figured with fosters I needed to get the cats used to it and myself used to doing it. I got Tigerlily done with no problem, much easier than I thought, and I did Payton too, but I had to take a break on hers and finish about 10 minutes later b/c she was struggling. Muffin went and hid when she saw what was going on, lol, and I'm scared to do Bonnie...she bites me sometimes. Tomorrow though, I'm tackling Muffin and Bonnie. :D

·
Registered
84 Posts
Well done! I'm trying to get my cat to let me do it to her as well, but usually end up with scratches all over my hand!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Kitty burrito them in a towel. When I worked at the vet it was the only way to get sutures and staples out of some cats.

Random thought; has anyone every seen a cat muzzle? Yikes!

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
congratulations! that's awesome! you are braver than me for sure. :worship

great idea getting them used to it before they get adopted. very smart.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Yay!! I have my mom hold the kittens and I clip; it's a lot easier with four hands! :) Lol kittyhawk, my vet uses "the cup" to muzzle cats... it's a cup with the bottom cut out so they can breath and IV tubing attached near the rim to tie it around their head. I almost wanted Tugs to get the cup b/c of how funny it would look, but then decided he was already traumatized enough.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got Muffins done while she was eating this morning. I've been lucky, both Payton and Muffin struggled but none have bitten or scratched me so far.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Minikin44 - lol! The actual cat muzzles though look like little Hannibal lector masks. It's freaky. I guess because they have no snoot like a dog there's really no other way to make them.

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

·
Registered
435 Posts
I remember the first time I worked up enough nerve to try to clip Ritz' nails. Mind you, Ritz was my first cat ever, rescued from the streets, her nails had never been clipped before. I felt like I'd just become a *real* cat owner, like I had passed a rite of passage.
With Ritz, I wait until she is in a deep sleep or just woke up; otherwise, she won't sit still.
I am fostering "Twiddledee", who was a member of the feral/stray/dumped cat colony since January 2012 until I decided her needed a Second Chance of being loved; now he head buts me, scent marks, purrs, etc. Well, his nails as you can imagine REALLY need clipping, and I clipped two with him just wide awak, beside me, before he got impatient. (I gave him a treat as a reward but, interestingly, he is not really food motivated, despite his having had to live in the streets for +9 months.) I'm more bonded to Ritz than TD (obviously) so I'm more stressed about clipping Ritz' nails. And Ritz picks up on that emotion.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
I never dared try nail clipping. ET never seem to be in deep sleep all the time, though I'm not sure if he was in deep sleep while we are all sleeping, so don't think I can ever get round it. He's a super timid boy and still is. Just wiping him down with cat wet wipe and daily brushing is a tedious chore :-(

·
Registered
89 Posts
I clip both of my cats nails pretty frequently, every 2 weeks maximum. They both cry a lot but pretty much let me do it. I have been doing it since they were kittens though.

I also agree with wrapping them in a towel, I have heard that works pretty well although I have never had to go that route.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts