Cat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey yall. Last I was here, I was posting hundreds of photos of my cats and loving everybody else's. I've got an issue. First of all, meet or re-meet Figi...

http://www.catforum.com/forum/41-meet-my-kitty/81203-pumpkin-twins-exposition.html

At the time he was probably 2 years old and about 18 pounds. He his currently 8 and a whopping 26lbs lol (vet says he is in fine shape for his size aka he's naturally huge). So with that disclaimer out of the way...

He picked up a Urinary tract infection. I took him to the vet two days ago, they prescribed him some liquid antibiotics. Here is the problem. He's 26 pounds and I live alone. He is an absolute monster to try to get in any sort of position to get the medicine in. He fights it hard. The scruff is pretty worthless at this point. I grab and lift and he just looks at me and laughs. So a couple of questions...

Has anyone had this issue?
Does anyone know of a way to do this single-handedly so I don't have to call someone to come over my house twice a day for the next two weeks?
If you foresee the liquid being a pain more than the pills, how do you get them to eat the pills without them throwing them back up (another thing my cats like to do)?

Absolutely any tips, tricks, or just straight up similar stories would be amazing (or a link to ten threads like this)

I feel terrible for him. I'm only two days in and he's already to the point where he won't come into the room if another person is here for fear of the dreaded grab and squirt. Please tell me there is a better way...

Thank you...

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
Can you put it in canned food? Mix it in with some warm water to make a canned soup batter? The extra water would be good for his plumbing in general.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't tried the wet food thing. So that is definitely a thought. I like the I'm so sorry here's a treat thing too. i'm afraid that he's already got some pretty good negative conditioning started so I'm playing from behind but I'm gonna head to the store tomorrow and see what I can find. I'm trying anything at this point short of binding and torturing :)

·
Registered
672 Posts
They do have pill pockets for cats. I never had luck with the dog version but you can try.

I have medicated dogs but never had to give a cat meds. I know the best darned way to medicate a dog is to wrap the pill in sugar free peanut butter.

They love the taste and the little glob gets stuck on the roof of their mouth and they can't spit out the pill :p

I am not sure if peanut butter is safe for cats so double check first.

Do you brush his teeth with pet toothpaste? If he likes the tooth paste you can try to wrap it around the tooth paste.

The wet food might work but it doesn't get sticky so not sure if they can spit out the pill?

Oh I know ... do you know those hair ball products that are sticky? They have tons of brands ... you can try and use those to wrap the pill in.

Something like this:
NaturVet Natural Hairball Aid Gel at PETCO

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
The OP says the vet gave her liquid antibiotic, that's why I suggested putting it in wet food. If he had given her pills I would have suggested crushing up the pills and then adding them to wet food.

·
Super Moderator
26,804 Posts
What worked for me with Cinderella was filling the dropper, then dipping it in tuna, so it was covered with juice and little bits of tuna. I let her sniff it, it passed inspection, and I very quickly jettisoned the contents into her mouth. Believe me, trying to get something into a resistant cat that's only 7 lbs. can be just as hard as 26 lbs.

So whatever is Figi's favorite thing, make the dropper smell and taste like that.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies. I'm pretty much doing the "straddle your cat and force the crap down his throat" technique. I feel terrible but it seems to be the quickest way. Unfortunately, I suspect Peanut, his 25 pound brother may have picked up the infection, and he's much more skittish. On the plus side, he likes treats a lot more so who knows, wish me luck on another two weeks of finding a way.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
wish me luck on another two weeks of finding a way.
Lots of luck then!

I had to give my 5.5lb fall of fur liquid meds for 10 days.. the most mellow cat I know and I still ended up with at least one bite and a handful of scratches .. the pills faired a bit better til he figured out how to eat around them in the treats :wink

1 - 9 of 9 Posts