Cat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Glad to get to the bottom of the mice drowning issue. I love this forum. I never knew of it until I hit cat forum on my search engine. Mitsue has many different things she does that are not similar to other cats I have owned through my life. She has never ever covered her defacation or urine after she uses the litter box. She however claws at the sides of the litter box and the door like crazy. She spends at least 5 minutes doing this. I had to buy her a litter box with a cover because she was clawing ot the walls or whatever was around her litter box. I think maybe she feels more grown up with the privacy too! :lol: She claws so much at the sides and the door that if she were digging in her litter box, you'd think she was trying to dig to Thailand to find her relatives from when it was once Siam. Does anyone know what may cause this odd behavior or did she not learn right? Oh yeah, how do you get cool little cat marks in the kitties listed under your name and such as marks or whatever they are?

·
Super Moderator
18,409 Posts
We had a thread on this not too long ago that I think Coaster started if you want to search for it. I believe we concluded that some cats are just weird this way...no telling why they scratch everything but what they're supposed to.

You get the cats under your screen name based on the number of posts you make.

Kitten 0
Jr. Cat 30
Cat 100
Tom Cat 300
Senior Cat 600
Cool Cat 900
Cat Addict 1500
Premier Cat 3500

·
Banned
12,199 Posts
That's right....my Mellie scratches at the sides of the box, too, just like you described, and I don't think we ever figured out why. :lol: As for not covering it, at least she does that. But I've read plenty of posts from other members whose cats don't. Outside cats are known to leave their scat on prominent places as markers for their territory. Although I think that's mostly males. One place I lived some years ago there was a stray orange tom who occasionally left one of those markers on my back stoop. :roll:

I don't know if that behavior has anything to do with your Mitsue's lack of cat litterbox ettiquette, though. :wink:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow!

I should be appreciative that she does go in there and doesn't go where she pleases! :lol: Maybe it has something to do with her kittie-hood (childhood). She was the runt of the litter and always had to fight for a nipple. I found her by herself in a basket staring up at me with those big blue eyes all alone. That sold me and the asian ladies I bought her from had me take the basket too because she slept and lounged in it. It was the only place she had peace from the other kitties. They said she was bullied a lot due to her size. Who would have ever guessed she would wind up being 7 lbs and a siamese! That is all mucle as she is very active. She runs circles around the house in the mornings and even darts out of the litter boxed after she is done clawing the walls to death like she is proud of what she accomplished in there. I am babbling now. She is my kid and I could talk about her all day!

Thanks

·
Registered
12,679 Posts
If she had a larger box where the sides were further away, she may scratch the litter. Then again, she may not.

I have one pottybox for 9 housecats. It looks like a hope chest with a cat flap door in the front center. It is 2'x4' and 18" tall. It is also lined with 1/8" plastic sheeting, caulked in all edges to be watertight and vented to the outside to control dust/odor. Lift up lid for access to daily cleaning.

One kitty would scratch the sides, but also scratch the litter and bury. I had one tamed feral who didn't bury, so the other kitties would do it for her when they went in there. We have had her for about 2+ years and I think she is burying her own scat, now.

Kitties can just be...different!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll have to give that a whirl. She already pactically has her own room, my guest room. All she needs after her bigger litter box is her own remote control so she can change it to animal planet when she wants! :lol: Thanks

·
Banned
12,199 Posts
Heidi n Q said:
...I have one pottybox for 9 housecats. It looks like a hope chest with a cat flap door in the front center. ...!
I'm making up plans to build something like that for my winter DIY project. Can you post a picture? :)

·
Registered
12,679 Posts
coaster said:
Heidi n Q said:
...I have one pottybox for 9 housecats. It looks like a hope chest with a cat flap door in the front center. ...!
I'm making up plans to build something like that for my winter DIY project. Can you post a picture? :)
I'm sorry, I really don't want to. Husband and I are pursuing avenues of production and patenting a part of our system.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Ahhh, they're all so different, aren't they? Some will furiously cover stuff, while others will fly out of the box as soon as they're done, as if some alien monster thing has just emerged from their butts. 8O

I had a cat (Abercrombie Harrison) who would not, under any circumstances, use his paws to cover his deposits. He would get his claws over the outside lip of the box and keep lifting the box and letting it fall back down until eventually he had flipped enough litter around to cover his stuff. I could always tell when Aber was in the box, 'cause of the FLOP, FLOP, FLOP :roll:

·
Super Moderator
26,359 Posts
CataholicsAnonymous said:
I had a cat (Abercrombie Harrison) who would not, under any circumstances, use his paws to cover his deposits. He would get his claws over the outside lip of the box and keep lifting the box and letting it fall back down until eventually he had flipped enough litter around to cover his stuff. I could always tell when Aber was in the box, 'cause of the FLOP, FLOP, FLOP :roll:
He certainly did fit his "proper" name! Thanks for the laugh! :lol: :lol:

·
Banned
12,199 Posts
CataholicsAnonymous said:
I had a cat (Abercrombie Harrison) who would not, under any circumstances, use his paws to cover his deposits. He would get his claws over the outside lip of the box and keep lifting the box and letting it fall back down until eventually he had flipped enough litter around to cover his stuff.
8O Wild and crazy!! That's the first time I've heard of that. :lol:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts