Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i have two cats that i love them alot and i think i have done a good job taking care of them. my biggest problem is i am just so tired of taking them out for walking around. i do work a lot of hrs and i am by myself and i try to do the best to play with them and make sure they are happy and not depressed and bored.
i take my cats out 3 times a day and nite to walk around and enjoy the fresh air. they are use to it for so long. when i use to live in my house i had a back yard with fence which allows me to leave them out there with less supervision but now living in townhome with open back yard i have to watch them constantly so they don't go far. if i don't take them out they cry and cry and cry..
i do have plenty of toys to play with but for them since they are use to go out it is such a satisfaction for them.. you should see them chasing each other, running up trees, chasing the squirls etc..etc.. but it has got to the point that i hate the time to go out! they don't stay in one place, they just keep walking and walking, one in one direction and the other another direction so i have to watch them and bring them back becuase i don't want to leave them out and get lost or attacked by another cat or dog. i love them to death and i want them to enjoy out door but it is getting to be a pain!!!
i have no way to build outdoor place for them since i lease my townhomes.
i am just frostrated and don't know what to do..
it is getting cold too and that does not help the situation.
yes i know i can not let them out and keep them busy inside but i just feel bad for them not able to enjoy the outdoor. it would have been alot easier if they never were outside but is too late for that!
sorry guys i am just going crazy.. i am going home in 15 minutes and i am not looking forward to take them out!!

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Maybe you could just slowly scale back? Three times a day does seem like an awful lot! Pumpkin and Simone only get to go out once or twice a week, and even then it is on a leash (I live in a small townhome community too). They really enjoy it when I take them out, but I don't want them to expect it.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
I don't know if this will help, but I have a very large dog crate that I keep on my back deck and it serves (for now) as an outdoor enclosure for my girls. They love going out in it and I just keep an eye on them from inside (or outside when the weather's nice). They stopped wanting to go in it a few days ago, because it's now really cold where I am.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maybe you could just slowly scale back? Three times a day does seem like an awful lot! Pumpkin and Simone only get to go out once or twice a week, and even then it is on a leash (I live in a small townhome community too). They really enjoy it when I take them out, but I don't want them to expect it.

i have cut back on the time they are out.. the problem is not taking them out like dog with the leash, chasing them where they want to go is the issue, my orange tabby is really good and she mostly follows me or hang around me, the problem is sephi, he is so bully and he keeps going and going so i have to really keep an eye on him. my neighbors think i am weird.!! you need to see how exited they get when we go out and when they come in they go like " oh we are back in the same old place again" !!
they are as bad as 2 year old kids..if i don't watch sephi for 30 seconds, he will disappear and then i have to look for him for 15 minutes.
once or twice a week, i might have to replace window blinds since they are going to climb over it to get the point through.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I'm having a similar problem. I let my cats roam around in the backyard but it's becoming a hassle because Sidonie has recently gotten gutsy enough to jump the fence. I don't want to have to chase her around the block every time I let them go outside. Neither of my cats like leashes so I can't take them for walks. I feel your frustrations.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm having a similar problem. I let my cats roam around in the backyard but it's becoming a hassle because Sidonie has recently gotten gutsy enough to jump the fence. I don't want to have to chase her around the block every time I let them go outside. Neither of my cats like leashes so I can't take them for walks. I feel your frustrations.
the only thing works for me when i want to bring them in to tell them " TIME FOR SNACK" and they know that is food and they are very good about coming in.
believe me i wished i had fence! mine is wide open to the grass area with lake around the building and trees and bushes!! i just feel bad for them staying inside in small place 24 hrs a day!

here are some pics of them in action chasing the birds climbing trees.

011.jpg

008.jpg

001.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,855 Posts
I know what you mean. My cat is an outdoor cat - she came that way since she was semi-feral when we started feeding her. She can come and go when she wants with the cat door at home but when we go to our cabin in the summer we have to shut her in at night. Usually she stays in at night on my bed anyway, but she doesn't like being forced to stay inside without an escape. She'll pace the rooms and meow and scratch at doors and jump around... eventually she settles down.

Anyway, like what was already suggested, three times a day is a lot. A lot of dogs don't even get out once a day for a walk!

I would slowly try and cut back their outdoor activities if you do not wish for them to be/can't allow them to be outdoor cats that can come and go when they please. Once they get used to something like that, it's hard to break them of it. It may not be easy.

You may not want to do this, but would it be possible to let them out to wander and then have them to cry at the door when they're ready to come inside? They might not go far. Of course this would depend on wild animals and traffic flow around your place, and if you think your cats would avoid cars... and also if they will come when called.

Here's an article on scaling back a cats outdoor time: How to Make Your Outdoor Cat an Indoor Cat

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
We use a dog crate sized for a Great Dane on the back patio. We put a shelf in the back for height and let them hang out in it during good weather. We always put water out there, but rarely food because of ants and yellowjackets that like to lay eggs in food.
I have plans to build an outdoor enclosure, similar to a scaled-down zoo exhibit, for them to access free-choice. Is that something you could consider at your place?

·
Registered
763 Posts
I don't know if this will help, but I have a very large dog crate that I keep on my back deck and it serves (for now) as an outdoor enclosure for my girls. They love going out in it and I just keep an eye on them from inside (or outside when the weather's nice). They stopped wanting to go in it a few days ago, because it's now really cold where I am.
Terrific idea! Dog crate, or cat specific outdoor runs are available for cats.

My cats are harness trained and I take them out only when it's nice, into a fenced yard, and never leave them alone there.

To the OP, they have you well trained, so now you will have to train them. :)

..get them a cat tree (if you don't already) and start playing with them inside, during times you might normally take them out. Cats do need interactive play time, all the toys won't make a difference if you don't play with them.

I've found that a fifteen minute play session will stimulate them and they will continue to play on their own for an hour or more after that. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts