Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
28,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spittles posted in the Say Meow to a new member from Australia, "May I ask why the heck Fidget is not spayed?" I thought that was harsh. I removed the words "the heck?" That is not the way to welcome new people. I guess I'll have to write to her. :( I believe Fidget is a pure bred Birman. If so, her owners are among the few members who might be justified in breeding their cat. Does anyone else consider spittles to be a bit abrasive?

edit/grammar :oops:

·
Premium Member
28,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wrote her a short note. This time I don't expect a friendly reply. :) (my pm was polite, but I don't think she'll like the fact that she was edited.)

·
Registered
6,799 Posts
I agree too. Many people base thier impressions of these forums on welcomes so they last thing we want is someone getting a lecture on thier first few posts :roll:

·
Premium Member
28,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am really upset! She knows that cat does not belong to the new member, but was brought to her house by her boyfriend. I assume he is moving in.

Nevertheless, she posted the same &*%$ thing in the Breeding Forum, and she has insulted Rob, Lori, and me by her remarks in the "Who are you voting for" thread in the lounge. She is " laughing her butt off at our posts." Well, really! If I were not a mod and a lady, I would dig down in the archives of my vocabulary and tell her what I think of her! She said she "accidentally" posted the "Why the heck?" post in Breeding and then couldn't delete it, so I did it for her, and will let her know.

Please excuse the venting, but I think she is a troublemaker. She saw nothing really wrong with asking people "Why the heck is your cat not spayed?"

I am going to ask for respect in the voting forum, and write to her again. There are ways to disagree without being disagreeable. I would watch her posts carefully. I really think she wants trouble.

I'm also fed up with AddFran's same types of remarks. She posts an unbelievable 1,000 times a month. She should know better. (Grumble, growl, hiss!)

·
Premium Member
28,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I sent Spittles a copy of Rule 1b:

b. Members should post in a way that is respectful of other users. Flaming
or abusing users in any way will not be tolerated and will lead to a warning or ban.

I wrote and rewrote, and then decided the rule said exactly what I wanted to tell her. :(

·
Registered
6,799 Posts
sometimes u have to forget the politeness when it comes to these people and tell it like it is (which im afraid I always do anyway, im blunt sometimes and have been told it) but still well manered.

Edit
To be honest when I read through the forums, I feel that members are giving unfair lectures on people about why thier cat isnt spayed, having kittens etc. If not a lecture then propositioning them on why they are not fixed, which is the last thing I feel we want to burden a new member with when they want to just show millions of pictures and ask questions. Ive been to plenty of forums before here who gave me lectures, or the first thing they even said was why wasnt she fixed/why breed them (I use to breed himilayan guinea pigs.) I know everyone has a concern, but when 2-3 people per welcome thread are asking why someone hasnt had thier cat fixed I feel is starting to be too much.

·
Premium Member
28,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree with you regarding the edit, but as mods, we have to be polite. If the member doesn't understand polite warnings, and his posts have to be moved to Review, that person won't last long!

Our members, for the most part, are very concerned about the thousands of cats and kittens being put down every week, but they are not going to change minds with an attitude like spittles.' Many are young, and don't even realize there is a problem. They can learn that here--but not if rude people drive them away. I tried to smooth things over in the Breeding forum, but right after spittles' post was one by AddFran, asking the same thing. She was more polite, however.

Did you see the last page of the "vote" forum? She was laughing at us (Lori, Rob, and me) and said so! I had to post a reminder in that thread.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
This forum has been so great about discussing controversial topics - gay marriage, religion, and a few more. Politics is just as controversial and I see spittles as that one person who stirs up the flames.

I personally am very opininated politically, and am really interested in hearing all sides of the debate. If anyone thinks that I may cross the line in any of my posts, please don't hesitate to PM me about it.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Jeanie said:
I'm also fed up with AddFran's same types of remarks. She posts an unbelievable 1,000 times a month. She should know better. (Grumble, growl, hiss!)
I wonder if maybe she doesn't know she can edit a post. I notice that she (and Dr. Jean) often just post again with what they meant instead of editing the post to make it what they meant. I'm often tempted to PM her and say, 'Hey, did you know you can edit your post?" Maybe next time I see that happen I'll do it.

Padunk, I'm the same way. I never mean to come off sounding rude or harsh, but I'm afraid that I often do. It doesn't help that I'm a member of the snopes.com message board where if the post is even the tiniest bit untrue the poster gets all kinds of jumped on. I do like the atmosphere here better, though, because it seems that people are more open to discussing and listening to another's point of view. And just like you, if I've crossed a line, please PM me and let me know. I'm not so proud that I can't admit when I've made a mistake.

I'm seriously annoyed with spittles "no offense" comments. She writes an enormously offensive remark and then puts "no offense" in parentheses. Obviously offense was meant otherwise she wouldn't have written it. I gave it back to her very mildly with her silly claim that Clinton didn't do anything about the terrorist attacks that happened during his presidency. Hopefully that will drive home the point that even though no offense was meant, it's often taken.

·
Premium Member
28,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That thread was impressive--until the name calling and ridicule began. One called Kerry a dufus, and another said Bush reminded her of Elmer Fudd. That upsets me. That's not intelligent discussion; it sounds like two seventh graders fighting. :(

I wonder if anyone has checked the documentation that was posted.

'Niss, AddFran sometimes starts a new post for every new paragraph or thought. My opinion (and I could be completely wrong) is that she thinks if she posts often enough she'll become a mod.

·
Registered
6,799 Posts
Jeanie said:
Did you see the last page of the "vote" forum? She was laughing at us (Lori, Rob, and me) and said so! I had to post a reminder in that thread.
No I didnt, I will have a look into it. I glanced at it at first, but I know nothing much about the people going for it cept bush and the other guy I cant remember his name, so I didnt bother to look in on that topic anymore, but I will check it out now.

EDIT-

I had a look at that thread, I see what you mean jeanie.

Annissa said:
I wonder if maybe she doesn't know she can edit a post. I notice that she (and Dr. Jean) often just post again with what they meant instead of editing the post to make it what they meant. I'm often tempted to PM her and say, 'Hey, did you know you can edit your post?" Maybe next time I see that happen I'll do it.
I think you should actually.
Just seeing her post now in the election threads, when she has quoted 2 people had to do 2 posts in the space of 3 minutes posting it. It might be as said trying to boost her post count, maybe tell her I only had like 700 posts before I was made a mod, post quantity has nothing to do with it, but quality :D

(And again elsewhere in a 6 minute span)

It might be she doesnt realise, or I know some forums you go to dont allow message editing after a certain time or at all.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Wow, the "Who are you voting for?" thread sure disinagrated quickly. :(
I was very impressed in the beginning how everyone was posting their opinions but remaining respectful of others. Unfortunately one or two people start slinging and things go downhill pretty quickly. I question if some of people posting the offensive remarks are even old enough to cast a vote.
I am starting to cringe when I see this type of thread. I too like politics and enjoy reading all opinions and thoughts, whether they agree with me or not. I just seems difficult for some to remain civil.
A question... would it help early on to post a reminder to be respectful and follow forum rules? I considered this, but didn't what to be overbearing since there were no problems when I posted yesterday.
I don't know, I'm just thinking out loud. :wink:

·
Registered
453 Posts
The thread moved beyond the range of permissible discussion, and was closed. There are probably some that should apologize to others, but I've a feeling everyone felt they were in the right. (By right, I don't mean the political right)

I accidentally posted this in the wrong thread. Ignore that one. Of course you can ignore this one too, if you wish. You probably wouldn't be any worse off. :oops:

·
Registered
6,799 Posts
Lori said:
]A question... would it help early on to post a reminder to be respectful and follow forum rules?
Jeanie did in the 3rd page I think it was, I know she did somewhere but it seemed to go ignored :roll:

Its a shame that thread had to be closed in the end too.

·
Premium Member
28,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Don't be surprised if someone says, "This is a democracy. I have a right to express my opinion." In fact, someone said something similar to that in the thread. Of course, this is a privately owned forum which can be accessed from anywhere in the world. The rules here are whatever Dan says they are! I think most of our members realize that we are guests in this forum, not co-owners.

I think the practice of attacking, not just helping to educate, but outright attacking, is something that should be nipped in the bud. In another cat forum where I helped to moderate, there was a paragraph by the forum mod stating that the breeding forum was there to answer questions and discuss proper breeding practices. Thus it was not an appropriate place to attack those who breed and show cats.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
This is very disappointing. I was away from the computer yesterday and was anxious all day to get back and read everyone's opinions on the presidential candidates.

I agree that the attacking needs to be stopped. Empath is right, though, that everyone feels as though they are the wronged party. The paragraph that Jeanie mentioned is a pretty good idea, but maybe it should come from Catman. It might mean more coming from the site administrator.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts