Cat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yestersday the real-estate agent came to look at our condo apartment and put a price on it when we're going to sell it (we're buying a house, remember).

OK, I knew that the prices of the apartments in town had risen and gone up pretty much since we bought ours. And that we got ours for a good deal. But I had NO IDEA that the prices had gone up so much that we will make a great profit on the apartment!

Swedish currency might be "toy money" to you, since you don't know the value of it, but just let me give you some numbers and you can do the math.

We bought the place for 245' and it'll be put out on the market for 675'. AND, a similar place was sold for 785' some week ago and was put out on the market for 650'.

I don't want to hope too much for a bidding war, that will raise the price even more, but *if* it happens, then if the apartment is sold for 735' it would have trippled the value in 6.5 years.

It feels like I've won on the lottery for sure!

Part of the advance we'll make will go into the new house, to keep the loans on it down, but parts of it will go into the house in more fun ways. Like doing some fixes to lower the energy costs AND I will FINALLY get my SPA... I have dreamt about that for ages, to have a jacuzzi to deal with my sore back muscles. And now it can happen!

We're talking about making the room outside the sauna to a Spa, where we will make it real cozy and have a big jacuzzi that can fit 4 people, make some nice lighting and things like that. Plus have a real massage table in the room, so we can give eachother real massages (without the one giving the massage breaking the back doing so).

WHOOO HOOOO!!! *dances around*

On october 12th the real-estate agent is going to have the first showing of the place, so I hope we'll get a good crowd coming and lots of interested parties to give some bids. KEEP FINGERS CROSSED!

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
My goodess!! Sounds like you guys might strike it rich :)

Congrats on the new house and the wonderful way it has turned out selling your old place.

I hope there IS a bidding war... between lots and lots of people!! Keep us updated!

·
Registered
722 Posts
Thats awesome!! Make sure you either have somthing baking like apple pies or brownies or have an air freshener that smells like that. My mother is a real estate agent and she says that if the house smells like brownies/cookies/apple pie, it sells four times faster because people associate the smells with their childhood.

Your housing market sounds a lot like Reno, the paper published the median amounts houses were sold for each month this past year, it started at 195,000....and went to 325,000, in under 10 months! Its gotten so bad they say its totally priced out first time home buyers, and people who want to move up into bigger better homes cant afford to either, even though the house they bought for 200,000 four years ago is now worth 600,000.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone!!! :D

Yes the houses in this town has risen too. To where we're moving, the prices are slowly rising, but not as crazy as here, where I live now. So it's crazy that we pay 850' for the house and sell an apartment that so much smaller for almost the same amounts.

If the house we're buying were in this town, we would have to pay about 1.6 million, or more. If you calculate the same distance to the down town area and size, it might be even more. Amazing!

So, maybe we'll get lucky the day we have to sell the house too... who knows.

My mom said I should invest in real-estate, since I seem to have a nack for it. But I don't know, it was more luck than anything.

·
Premium Member
28,623 Posts
I'm so happy for you, Petra! You know, over here, the owners set a price, and everyone offers less than the owners ask. I gather that in Sweden you set a minimum and then people bid more? And the highest bid gets the house? Or am I misunderstanding? I do hope you get your spa. Ahhhhh, what luxury! :)

·
Registered
552 Posts
Good for you, Petra! Here in the States we always joked about investing in land, diamonds and Corvettes (not necessarily in that order! :wink:)

It is pretty hard to own a home and lose. But I am with Jeanie, it sounds so foreign to hear the way prices bid up. We go the exact opposite direction. I once purchaed a home after a flurry of offers and counter-offers. It got so frantic that ~I~ ended up loaning the previous owner enough money to clear his mortgage so we would have a deed at closing.

Jeanie, your house is priced far too cheap at 300K, let me offer you 350K instead... 8O (That sound in the background is my banker, laughing his hindquarters off!)

Peace,
Mike

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hahaha... you guys are just too funny! :D

The reason the we have this system is that there's not enough houses/condos/apartments, so the demand is HUGE. If they would build more houses, then the prices wouldn't go up so much either. Plus the low intrest rates helps too. It's definately the sellers market right now and I think we're just at the end of it and I think the prices might drop very shortly (since the intrest rates will rise).

When I bought the condo I actually bid less than the advertised price, and got it. So there's lots of changes in 7 years or so. Then it was the buyers market, now it's the opposite.

Jeanie, you know what this means... not only will I get my spa, but there's also a bigger chance we can go visit my inlaws. So at the latest next fall we'll be coming over and then we hopefully can come and visit you too. Might even go this spring, since we have an open invitation to my friend in Orlando, Florida too and I've never been there.

So make sure that you have water boiling for our tea. :D

Is Mike coming? Will he bake a cake or do I have to make one of my special ones?

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Congratulations again Petra! Sounds like everything is going wonderfully for you!

I'm so happy for you, Petra! You know, over here, the owners set a price, and everyone offers less than the owners ask
:lol: Where I live, it's like where Petra is. The houses around here have skyrocketed! My friends parents recently put their 40 year old 3 bedroom house on the market for $390 and wound up getting $420. Sucks to be trying to buy a home here ... :roll:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts