Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, a 5-month old kitten. He's short-haired, black & white, orange eyes, funny, intelligent, and cuddly.

He licks my hands a lot - is that normal? He sometimes goes from licking to biting me... Grrr...

And he doesn't understand that he's not allowed on the kitchen worktops. Any ideas how to stop him jumping up all the time? He has a slightly lower breakfast table he can jump on, and does, but tends to use it a launchpad for getting onto the main worktops. Not good. Any help much appreciated!

Pics to follow soon... (as soon as he sits still for more than a millisecond!)

·
Premium Member
28,623 Posts
Chris, I'm glad you finally got a kitten! Yes, kittens like to bathe us. They like the slightly salty taste, and they are treating us as if we were their littermates or kittens. They bite for fun. There are gentle love bites and a bit rougher play bites. Kittens especially like this type of play, but if you encourage it, it will continue. Say "no" in a "I mean business" tone, and put kitty down. Be consistent.

The same is true of jumping up. They like to be on the highest spots in the house. Besides, they might be hoping there is a treat awaiting them! Putting double stick tape on the counters is often effective. You might also use a cleaner with a citrus smell. When you catch kitty in the act, put her down, saying "no" and be consistent. She will sometimes outgrow both behaviors, but they will always want a high spot, so it's nice to have a scratching post with a high perch. And the licking is loving. You can just wash your hands! Sandpaper baths are sweet; they're kitty kisses!
Congratulations on becoming a kitty mother. :D

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Sometimes a loud bark "NO!!" will get a cat off the counter. If you do this every time the cat goes up there he will eventually learn that it is not acceptable (but will still go there when you are not around, as mine does) :twisted:

·
Registered
10,243 Posts
I always say "NO" firmly to one of my cats Sugar, who loves going on the counters when she is not supposed to. Twinkie would never dare go on the counter really so no worries there. They will most likely go on the counter when you're not around so while you're there just make sure you discipline them with a "NO"

My cat Twinkie loves licking me with his rough tounge. Sugar gnaws at my hand pretty hard when she wants to play so maybe your kittie is just bored but when they do it, make sure you put them down and say "NO". This way they know not to do it, if you let them do it they will think it is ok.

Hehe hope everything works out fine! :p

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Aww a new kitten, can't wait to see pictures!

Just to let you know, you are going to go nuts for the next while hehe. I have a 7 month old cat that is a complete brat. He doesn't jump on the counters though because we have 2 6ft bookshelves with blankets on top where they can go. As Jeanie said, they like the highest place in the house so I agree that getting a perch for him would be a fantastic idea.

Good luck, and just be persistent. He will be bad some days, you just have to be disciplined in his training and eventually he will grow up to be a great cat. Remember, kittens are still learning.

(Ya ya, you guys can come right back at me and say the same thing hehehehe.)

·
Premium Member
28,623 Posts
The little monsters are so much fun, Tanyuh, that you're already missing Psi's kittenhood, and it isn't even over yet! I'm not one to bring up old issues--no, not me!! :lol: (told you so, told you so, told you so!)

Seriously, kittens are the most innocent, sweet, playful little troublemakers God ever created! ::))

·
Registered
866 Posts
I heard putting sheets of tinfoil on the counter stops them, because it crinkles and scares them. Although I found my last cat sleeping on it one day. :evil:

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
kittenguy, have you tried gently blowing in his face? Most cats usually don't like that. My Stormy didn't mind getting sprayed with a little water very much but she would stop what she was doing if I blew air in her face.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I got a cat

Referencing the cat who sleeps in the sink, mine does that,he sleeps in the downstaris bathroom sink, it is small and round and his 14lbs fit in it snugly. I think it is a security thing for him. Does not bother me as we do not use that sink very much. The nice thing is that when he gets out all I have to do is swish some water around it and it removes any hairs. I had a problem with one of my cats loving to get on top of the refrigerator. I have several items on top now, so he does not try anymore. Bookshelves are inviting to them also, I also have cat perches in windows, they love to look out at the birds. Have fun with your kitty.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts