Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 2 days ago my cat maverick became scared of my room, well my floor. He wont come in my room, sometime he'll try but he will only come in half way threw the cat door, gets to scared and backs up, And the rare time he does come in he jumps and every little sound, and one time he attacked a belt i had on the floor. I Can bring him into my room and put him on my book case or something and he'll be better, not as jump but still freaked out and wont go on the ground, he was even fine enough to sleep on my book case for a few hours and when he wanted down he sat on the very edge and meowed at me, and i had troubles getting him down since every time i picked him up he would freak out and jump out of my arms. I don't know why hes doing this, and the flooring all threw the house is exactly the same, he just wont pass the opening to my room. I have another cat , and shes completely fine. Now Maverick just sits in front of my door meowing at me. Its sorta important that maverick can go threw my room since theres a cat door leading outside to a Pen for the cats and the litter box is out there, and i can put him near the cat door and he'll run out but he wont come back in my room. Hes almost 2 and this is the first time he's done anything like this.
Does anyone know whats wrong with him, or has this happened to your cat and went away?
Im starting to get worried about him.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Have you cleaned the floor with anything new?
Fleas?

Try laying a few towels on the floor, from the doorway to the cat door and other areas he wants access to and see if that makes it better.
If he walks on it them, then try cleaning your floor again.
If he doesn't, then something may have happened when he walked in there - startled, attacked, etc.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mom of 4 said:
Have you cleaned the floor with anything new?
Fleas?

Try laying a few towels on the floor, from the doorway to the cat door and other areas he wants access to and see if that makes it better.
If he walks on it them, then try cleaning your floor again.
If he doesn't, then something may have happened when he walked in there - startled, attacked, etc.
I havent cleaned my floor in like a week and i dont have any new cleaner. Iv also been in my room alot the past few days with a cold, and havent seen anything freak him out. I tryed the towel thing just now, and he was still freaked out but not as bad. I put a towel right infront of my door put him on the towel and he ran out, so i put him back in sat infront of my door and wouldent let him leave. he tryed to get out but not that hard, and then he would give up and just lay down or smell around on the floor. So i put another towel down leading to my bed, to see if he would go anyfarther. First he dident do anything then i told him if he went to the bed and came back i would let him out, to my surpise he actually did it, so i had to let him out. Hes still freaked out but im going to try again in 10 mins or so.

·
Registered
12,679 Posts
Kaiya said:
...one time he attacked a belt i had on the floor.
Okay, not to freak *you* out, but I had a cat who behaved in a slightly similar manner.
My husband brought LuckyDuck (I call him Louie) to me from his work. Louie was *very* sick, he had an abcess under his throat that was as big as a tennis ball. The vet fixed him all up, drained the pus, cut away the excess skin and sewed him up. Louie had about 8" of stitches under his neck in a "Y" shape.
As he healed, we tried to play with him, using our usual cat toys but Louie FREAKED OUT when we'd drag the leather shoelace! I mean, fuzzed-up, growling, stalking and taking super-fast swipes at the leather string that he saw as a SNAKE, leaping/pouncing on it with both paws and then darting his head down quickly to bite (kill) where the head/neck would be and then leaping wildly away, afraid it was going to attack him. We wonder now if his original injury was due to a snake bite. Eventually, Louie realized the leather shoelace/string wasn't a snake, but it did take some time.

I wonder if your kitty encountered something similar in your room. :yikes I'm sorry, I know that is freaky, but I think it is something you should look into.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Whenever my cats have shown fear of something ordinary, I have always used treats and lots of petting to help them get over it. In your case, I would offer a treat about a foot inside the doorway to get Maverick to come in and get it, give him lots of praise for coming in, move back a little and try it again and keep praising him and petting him as he gets farther into the room. He may get to a certain distance and be too edgy to go farther, and that's okay. You can give him a break and try again later. You do have to push the issue somewhat because of the litter box, but praise and treats should help. And like Heidi said, you should probably check out your room very thoroughly to make sure there's nothing there that appears to frighten him. Ultimately your goal is to make sure that he feels safe so he gets back to normal.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
I used to have this cheese-burger shaped little creature with googly eyes that freaked out my cat Elfie so much that he wouldn't pass it! One night he snuck up on it, swatted it and ran like the wind all poofed up! It was so funny :lol:

Oh man, Lucky-Duck should talk to Chica about being afraid of snacks. She is the opposite, she seems entranced by them. My mom has a bucket of floppy flexible fake snakes. Chica gets into the bucket and carries the snakes all around!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts