Cat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week I was on a coach coming back from a trip somewhere, popped a mint into my mouth and it "went down the wrong way", something which we have all experienced at some point or other.

I started coughing and someone patted me on the back and it didn't improve things at all. I was trying to breathe through my nose and just got more and more panicked. Thank goodness someone shouted for the coach to stop and there was a medical student on board who practically pushed me off and did the heimlich manoevre on me three times before it finally shifted. Apparantly my lips had gone blue and it was getting quite serious and all I could remember thinking was that this was it.

I know it sounds melodramatic but I am in no doubt that if this wonderful woman had not been around I would have been a gonner. It really scared me and I have barely been able to eat anything since.

I am sure there is a lot of information available but I just wanted to share a site which tells you what to do if you ever experience someone seriously choking so that you would be able to to help:

http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/articles/ar ... leId=2301#

It really was the most frightening experience, I hope none of you ever experience it but are well equipped if you ever come across someone in that situation.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
And this is a good time to push for everyone to learn CPR with the use of an AED. It includes dealing with choking. It's only four hours through the American Heart Association. They are constantly simplifying it , to encourage people to learn. No written test, just practice and then running through it.
Many of the churches are offering it at no cost to their congregation. Fire stations in our area teach it at a very reasonable price for people living and working in our town.
If I can teach it, you all can learn it. The more who know it, the more help there will be when it is needed.

·
Registered
629 Posts
thank goodness your ok 8O that must have been such a frightening situation, i cant even imagine. Thank god that medical student was there.

i agree that everyone should learn CPR, you never know when it will come in handy.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Adult CPR and First Aid are both required at my workplace. Everyone should learn, it isn't hard, and you could save someones life some day.

·
Registered
981 Posts
When you start breaking ribs is when your doing CPR correctly (Hubby was a EMT so he taught me :D ) I am so happy your ok though!!!!!

·
Registered
7,458 Posts
How scary for you! Thank goodness the med student was there to help you.

Mstx: I have broken a few ribs in my past. I always hated doing that.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Honestly, if I ever had a heart attack, I'd rather someone try, even if they do break a rib. Broken ribs heal, but heart attacks kill without immediate attention.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
A few years ago, I was driving on a lightly traveled country road, chewing a wad of gum. I went to cough, took a big gulp of air in, and down went the gum. Completely blocked my airway. I couldn't cough it up. What surprised me is that it really didn't take long for me to feel the effects of not being able to breathe! I put my hand and fist between my stomach and the steering wheel and pushed up with my hands and down with my body, using the steering wheel for more pressure. By the time I dislodged the gum (which felt like forever.... 8O ), my truck had stalled and drifted into someone's front yard. Man, it was a truly frightening experience.

And I haven't chewed gum since then! :roll:

·
Registered
777 Posts
Im glad you are okay .

That choking sensation is absolutly awful.

·
Premium Member
28,623 Posts
Thank God, Stephie! It's so frightening when you can't breathe! I've been there too, and couldn't get anyone's attention. It was a stringy bit of sandwich steak, and I was 8 1/2 months pregnant. Fortunately, I was able to reach into my throat and "unwrap" it from whatever it was wrapped around. That was a long time ago, but it's not something you forget.

Thank God for that woman's knowledge and action! We need you!

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
I'm very glad you're alright, Stephie! That must have been so frightening!
The closest I ever came to choking was with a piece of ice, which melted before it became serious. It was scary, and left me with a blinding brain-freeze headache, though :oops:

I am trained in CPR, too, but (knock-on-wood) have never had to put my training into practice.

I did do the Hiemlick (sp?) maneuver on someone once. I thought nothing of it because it worked so easily, but they were very grateful. :)

·
Registered
10,243 Posts
I'm so glad your ok Stephie! I don't think I've ever choked that badly but if it ever happens I hope someone is around that knows how to help me :!:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts