Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night, I made split pea soup and cornbread for dinner. My daughter and I ate sitting on the floor at the coffee table (so uncivilized, I know :lol: ) Anyway, I was looking at D as she told me something that happened at school. After her story, I looked down again to finish eating and Dasher had his entire face in my bowl of soup! He was going to town too - lapping as fast as his poor little tongure would go. It was hilarious. I took the bowl from him, and went to the kitchen to dump the rest of it into the trash. Dasher followed me into the kitchen, stood on his back legs and watched me dump the soup into the trash, then looked at me like "Umm, I was gonna eat that!"

He was very careful to lap around the carrots. Had no probs with the ham tho!

He then took a long drink of water, gave himself a very thorough bath, and went to sleep for the night :lol:

·
Registered
12,661 Posts
Your story made me smile and remeber a similar one of my own!

Whene we (husband and I) lived in California, we ate dinner in the living room and watched rented movies many evening. I had a bed-tray(?) that I would set over my lap and I'd sit on the floor while the husband would sit on the couch with his plate in his lap. I always had a semi-circle of cats sitting around me on the floor, but they had always been very respectful. If I saw a paw or nose reaching for my tray, I'd just say a low "uhn-uh" and they'd stop. Mousie would sit right next to me and just *smiiiiile* up at me and purr.

So. Very engrossing part of the movie and I was watching the action scene intently, when it was over I looked down to continue my meal and wondered where my porkchop was. I thought to myself: I didn't eat all of it, had I? I took a bite of a side and thought about my porkchop and realized that even if I *had* eaten all of my porkchop, the BONE would have still been on my plate! Then I realized no cats were sitting around me. I got up and checked in the kitchen, my little Mousie had *watched* me be distracted and slowly put her paw onto my plate and hooked my 'chop, running off with it and all the other kitties had followed her and her 'prize' to the kitchen!
Crazy kitties! :lol:
Now when am not at the table, I keep an arm curled around my plate so I can FEEL any cat reaching for my dinner if I am distracted by the TV!

·
Super Moderator
26,519 Posts
Dasher certainly lives up to his name - he's a quick one! :D

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Heidi -Thanks for sharing. That is sooooo funny! :lol: I'm glad to see we're not the only ones who eat in the LR!!

Marie - Yes, Dasher still manages to be quick, even though he is a whopping 19 lbs now. The first few months we had him, he would gallop thru the house at top speed right around 11 every night. He was an early Christmas present for my daughter (no worries - we have super quiet Christmases), which is what put us on the Christmas theme.

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
Wait, I though split pea soup with carrots and ham, served with cornbread, was a Southern specialty.
You mean it's not? 8O

Those kitties have good taste, though :p

·
Super Moderator
26,519 Posts
Maybe the cornbread part is Southern, John, but it's my Mom's favorite soup. :D

Me? not so much 8O

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Interesting. Stormy seems to love split pea soup, too. I mean, she nearly always seems to want to sample my dinner. But she tries a lot harder for split pea than most other soups.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A Southern specialty? Hmmm, I live in the Midwest and its the norm around here - standard use for hambones. And my family has always served cornbread with beans (except dals). I can't imagine eating pea soup with anything else! :D

·
Registered
12,661 Posts
:mrgreen: We just finished off a crock-pot of navy beans and chopped ham-steak, served with fresh cornbread. Yum!
...now I've got to cook something for tomorrow night. :? I love a pot of beans, they can feed you for several days and you don't have to cook every night! :lol:

·
Super Moderator
26,519 Posts
Plus, they keep unwanted guests away! :D

·
Super Moderator
26,519 Posts
While we, being women, poof rainbows. :D

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Going back to soup, with ironic timing: I've been eating beef stew I made this weekend. I opened the container in the fridge, put some soup in a bowl and went back to check the computer while it was heating in the microwave. Silly me, I didn't put the main container away immediately. When I turned back to the kitchen... guess who was on the counter licking up stew. (I'll give you a hint. She's black and furry.)

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
She's really been getting on my nerves the last few days. I also made a loaf of bread this weekend. Well, Stormy likes white bread. I brought the loaf over to show off to my Mom when we were talking on Skype (I don't bake often, so I was pleased with myself) and spent the rest of the conversation moving the bread from my lap to one corner of the computer desk to the other and back to holding it, while Stormy followed it around and tried to lick crumbs off the plate it was on.

Also, Sunday night I went to load new songs onto my iPod and discovered somebody had chewed up the sync cable. Those things cost $20 to replace. Wonder who might have done that...

... can't have been my furry little angel, currently blissfully asleep with her paw over her eyes.

·
Super Moderator
26,519 Posts
Couldn't have been. You must have mice.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts