Cat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cat 'Doodles' had kittens a few months ago and we kept 2 of them who are brother and sister.

I don't think this will happen but my fiancee is worried about the brother (Spike) trying to mate with the sister (Saffron) when they're old enough. We're getting them neutered as soon as we can but the Spike has started climbing over the back of Saffron and biting her neck recently and my fiancee is getting rather upset about it.

Is it possible?

My concern is that Doodles is pregnant again and I'm worried that Spike might get a bit jealous of the new kittens. I might be wrong but I've heard that male cats aren't to keen on new arrivals.

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
How about getting Doodles fixed before she has another litter. There are already too many cats brought into this world that will never have good homes.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We're getting Doodles 'fixed' straight after this next litter, sorry if I forgot to mention that.

I wouldn't be letting Doodles have another litter if I didn't know they had good homes to go to and even if they're wasn't I'd be quite happy to keep them all myself. I have a large house and I just love my cats.

The only reason we kept 2 from the last litter is because both Spike and Saffron attached themselves to us very quickly, the others didn't seem like they were at home and they had places to go anyway

As for this next litter... I don't think there will be enough kittens to go around. They all have lovely homes to go and there's still another 4weeks til there even born! LOL!

·
Premium Member
28,623 Posts
Yanikin, I don't know how old your kittens are, but I would get the male to the vet immediately. If the new kittens are due in four weeks, mother cat got pregnant 5 weeks ago. That makes your kittens a bit older that you think. If they are only a few (3) months old, that means mother got pregnant when the kittens were 9-10 weeks old. That's quite possible, but I have never seen 3 month old males trying to mount a female, except accidentally-in play. I fear that he is at least a month older than
you think, and might very well impregnate his sister.

If it's a matter of finances, keep the females secure in the house, and get the male neutered immediately. It's less expensive. Then ask the vet if he will allow you to make payments on spaying the two females.

I'm sure you are aware of the terrible statistics re kittens given away. Many, even those we are sure are going to good homes, end up being put into shelters, if not sold for chemical research or snake food. It's horrfying to think of, but it's true. :cry:

It's obvious that you love your cats. I'm certain you want only the best for them. Please keep us informed.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes I think you're right jeanie... the kittens will be 4months on the 15th of this month.
I'll get little Spike down to the vet ASAP!

Thanks

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I know about all the poor kitties :( .

I'm actually thinking about going to my local cat protection society and offer to help out

I've made sure that the kittens I've given and will give away go to great homes of family and friends so I can keep in touch. I've told them all that if they feel that they no longer want them that I'll take them back.

·
Premium Member
28,623 Posts
Yanikin, I'm just judging by Spike's behavior. Normally, I personally like to wait a while, but that little rascal seems to have some more mature ideas! Many shelters neuter at that age. I think you're really wise to make such cautious arrangement for the kittens.

It would be wonderful if you could volunteer at a shelter! You have a good heart. :)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's very hard to tell. Personally I just think that he's playing and somehow manages to get into that kind of position coz he bites wee Saffron on the neck and takes off into a mad run (as they do... :lol: ).
My fiancee Martyn is getting really nervous about it though coz they're getting older now.

I love those wee critters, I don't know what I'd do without them (((= ::))

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Yanikin said:
It's very hard to tell. Personally I just think that he's playing and somehow manages to get into that kind of position coz he bites wee Saffron on the neck and takes off into a mad run (as they do... :lol: ).
My fiancee Martyn is getting really nervous about it though coz they're getting older now.

I love those wee critters, I don't know what I'd do without them (((= ::))
Even if it's just play there's no need to take any risks. I normally do not recommend people to neuter cats before the age of 6 months, but in this case I do. You do not wan't two siblings to mate with each other. The results can be devistating.

If they are 4 months old, the female could get into heat anytime now.

·
Premium Member
28,623 Posts
We certainly didn't mean to steer you the wrong way, Yanikin. The kitten shouldn't be ready for parenthood, yet, but it certainly sounded that way. I'm sorry. Normally, I would have agreed with your vet in the first place, but it sounded as if he was attempting to breed. I'll bend over and you can kick. :cry:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No, it's ok really! I was worried too and I thought the vet would say it was advisable to get him neutered even tho he's a bit young.

I really appreciate all the advice, don't know what I would have done without it.

It's always better to be safe than sorry :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts